'52 Henney Packard combination

Heard about this combination hearse/ambulance last month, followed up, seller provided pics (below). I have not seen this coach in person. Do not contact me, merely relaying info. Direct all inquiries to the owner, Mr. Walter White:

336.401.2325 (c)
336.367.5435 (w)
wcwhite@surry.net

My notes:

- '52 or '53.
- Serial #5413 2124
- Although much light body rust, actual rot is minimal; nickel size on right door, left fender dogleg, rockers pitting, driver's front floor.
- All glass good.
- Complete down to curtains.
- Not attempted starting since acquiring.

Ever hear of R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co? This coach came from the estate of an heir in TN. Still has old Nashville plate and nametags. No title, provided with Bill of Sale. Location is Dobson, NC. Mr. White wants $3500.

52pack1.jpg

52pack1b.jpg

52pack1c.jpg

52pack1f.jpg

52pack1g.jpg

52pack1d.jpg

52pack1e.jpg

52pack1j.jpg

52pack1i.jpg

52pack1k.jpg

Mr. White purchased about 30 vehicles in this private estate sale around 18 months ago. The only other procar among them (no pics) is a '57 Cadillac Series 75 factory limo. Similar condition, same asking price.

Paul, feel free to move this to a forum deemed more appropriate. Mr. White does not have them advertised anywhere online.

Walt's right. This is a 1954 Henney-Packard Model 5491 combination car and one of 205 Senior cars built in '54. In fact, judging by the body number, it was probably number 124 of 205.

Actually...

Actually there were 230 built and only 205 sold. The other 25 were disassembled and returned to Packard as parts. We have verified that the numbers go all the way to 230.

Jim....that is correct. Henney assembled the Packard "commercial chassis" from parts supplied by Packard. In the end, Packard refused to take back the parts unless they were disassembled and returned to them as delivered. As you can imagine, this was something Packard didn't really want to do. This is all detailed in McPherson's Henney book.

C. Russell Feldman

C. Russell Feldman, who owned Henney at the time, was very stubborn. He refused to allow his staff to discount the remaining cars in order to sell them and instead disassembled them and sent the parts back.

I would think that a discount would have been a much better option than paying for: dis-assembly, packing, shipping, restocking, etc, etc.

I guess a discount should have been the first option before they dis-assembled them. :clubem:

My 2 cents from only knowing what I read in this thread about the last 25 cars.
Darren

P.S. Who knows, they may have been worth more in parts.
Almost every used car is.

I would think that a discount would have been a much better option than paying for: dis-assembly, packing, shipping, restocking, etc, etc.

I guess a discount should have been the first option before they dis-assembled them. :clubem:

My 2 cents from only knowing what I read in this thread about the last 25 cars.
Darren

P.S. Who knows, they may have been worth more in parts.
Almost every used car is.

so true but your name was not Russell Feldman. the world is full of this kind of personality. cut off you nose to spite your face has been going on a long time

Back