Tunnel Light Flasher

Anybody know how to make tunnel lights flash alternately on a '73 Superior? Currently they all flash together (all on/all off) front, rear, including the side lights. Would like to get them to flash alternately left/right. I found the flasher and wiring block but didn't change anything yet. Put in a new flasher marked "alternating" but it just did the same thing. Thanks!!

Without knowing the type of flasher that you are using, I can't give you any assistance. There are a couple of flashers that were available, from a Cole Hersee motorized flasher, to the Julian McDermott alternating can flasher, and finally, the standard 2 or 3 contact small (1" diameter) flasher. In all probability, you are going to need to change the type of flasher you have, and at the least, you will need to separate the lighting wires to the other side of the alternating flasher. The worse case scenario is where both the front lights were wired together, and the rear lights were wired together. If this is the case, then it will require some rewiring of the lights. This is a case where pictures will be necessary to understand the wiring to get you on the right track.

you will have to find the hot wire for each light. separate then from were some one tied them all together. then once you know what wire works what light you can place them on the flasher in any pattern you would like. the alternating flasher has two hot post that it alternates between the mechanical one would have two or more combinations you can make. but you will have to find were the wires are. hopefully they will be easy enough to trace back but it can be a real pane to find . good luck

If you have sealed beam tunnel lights I will have to second Paul, Cole Hersee is what you want. They may be pricey but they rarely fail easily and can take a good amp draw load. ;) My 73 S&S has them and they are great runners that were installed "original" and have never been replaced.

Here is an auction for one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/271236071109?item=271236071109&viewitem=&category=50466&vxp=mtr

As for how to get an alternating left right pattern in your coach using the Hersee, see the diagram.

ColeHerseeFlasheSetup_zps1fc3f94b.jpg

If you want a Cole Hersee flasher, I can supply you with one for $50, plus the shipping. Paul

This is the flasher unit that was in my '66 Superior hightop. Worked great, alternated 10 lights from side to side in any pattern you want.

IMG_0671.jpg

We used the 537s on our police cars for deck lights(with sealed beams) and alternating head lights when I was on our police force before we went to strobes and then LEDs. They were pretty good and reliable but when they started to fail they would do lots of different tricks like just flash one light or leave one light on and not flash at all. They were a relatively cheap unit and most police forces including the Michigan State Police used them but for an ambulance with multiple lights, the Cole Hersee or Sound Off units would probably work better..

Back