1968 Rochester MN Visitor's Guide Ambulance Ad

Kurt Halverson

PCS Northland Chapter President
With many PCS friends coming to visit Rochester this summer, I thought this would be a great time to share something I came across in an antique store a few years ago. It's called the Rochester Visitor's Guide, and it is from 1968. This booklet was given out free to visitors to the area, and it advertised local restaurants, attractions and hotels. It is fascinating to read through; even though I have owned it for a few years I still enjoy looking through it to see "the way it was".
RVGCover.JPG
In the booklet there is an ad for an ambulance service that I had not heard of before, called "Diamond Ambulance Service". I know at this time Gold Cross Ambulance was in operation, so this company must have been a competitor. I wonder if, when naming the company, the owners thought "What is better than gold? Diamonds! Let's name our company after that!".
RVGAmbAd.JPG
It looks like the ambulance in the ad is a 1963 Pontiac. Perhaps Mr. Perkins will mention this company when he gives his presentation this summer on Gold Cross at the International Meet.
Kurt

Last edited:
Back