FH table

Recently acquired from a FH that closed in 1915. Unsure what the intended use of this attractive little lighted funeral home table was. When broken down, each component fits snugly into specific compartments of portable carrying case. Tray height is waist high and not intended for much weight. Initially toyed with idea of Communion table but have never seen a lighted one - let alone a portable one. A friend this morning suggested a portable priest's table for Anointing of the Sick, which completely makes sense. Input?

528327_10151291829948221_891039220_n.jpg

Attila's table

There has to be someone out there with the answer to what is this table for.
It being used as a work table in giving last rites seems like a good answer. But then so does the prayer card table. Anyone have some old supply catalogs we could go through?
My vote would be for it being a last rites table.
Mike

Most Catholic priests in the olden days,had a case they carried to administer last rites,when opened had a crucifix that stood upward and 2 candles one to each side of the cross,and the containers for the oils and holy water,as a real young catholic alterboy I would during school hours accompany the priest to administer the last rites,(thats probably where I got my first training in dealing with the dying,)very profound P.S. the case looked like a suitcase and was heavy,

Also, don't forget that it wasn't uncommon in that era that the wake be held in a home... Same could be said for the embalming. Much of an undertakers equipment would've been portable for this reason.

We sill have a few Gleason Folding Mortuary Tables at my funeral home, still have ALOT of prewar stuff tucked away in the attic.

Back