Federal Q Pedestal Base

Hello. I have a 1970 Olds C/B ambulance which originally had a roof mounted siren. I believe this was most likely a Federal Q, so that is what I am looking to install. I have been searching online for sirens, and have found one for sale locally, but every one I find has a flat pedestal base. In all the pictures I have seen of a Q mounted to a C/B roof, the siren has an angled base to compensate for the curvature of the roof. How difficult is it going to be to find the correct base? So far, I have not been able to find one online. I am debating whether or not I should buy the Q that I found locally at a good price, then find the correct base later, or if I should keep searching for a siren that already has the base I need. Here is a photo I found online that shows what I am trying to do. Please note, this is not my car, but is a C/B with the same roof.

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 471
OK help me out guys Jim Vowl popes into my head and Doug Kelly who all is selling these kind of parts.

but if it was me I would go for a B&M lighter, smaller, draws less current and is louder. but to each thee own. a number of people selling parts check out the sellers folder here might help.

I can fix you up with a siren, and most probably the base also. Your car might have had a Q, or it could have had a C6RB siren. Personally, I would prefer the C6 over the Q for looks. I also have one of those that was rebuilt and restored cosmetically by John Dorgan prior to his dying. That also would take the angled base, and I am certain that I have one of those on my workbench. If you are headed to Spring Carlisle (PA), you could pick it up there. You would save yourself a lot of money in shipping. thanks Paul

While I do like the look of the C6, and the B&M Super Chief, something about the Q keeps pulling me back in. I do think it looks comically large on the roofs of these cars, but that look grows on me more and more with each photo I look at.

Paul, if you do have that angled base, please let me know what you would want for it. I am very interested! I have never been to Carlisle, but I have been wanting to go. It could be a good excuse to get me out there.

Happy Easter! I just wanted to post with an update. I was able to negotiate a very good price on the Q that was for sale locally and made the purchase on Friday. The siren is in good cosmetic condition and worked well when I tested it. I don’t think the neighbors were thrilled with my test (or my wife), but I thought it sounded great. I am excited to get it mounted on the car. It does have the flat pedestal base though, so I am still on the lookout for the correct angled/curved base.

Paul, it is not looking like I will be able to make it to Carlisle, but if you do have that base, I would gladly pay for the shipping. Please let me know. Thank you.

In the picture you show notice the spacers. One can use a long bolt in the rear and a spacer to level it out till the right base comes along.

Hello. I have a 1970 Olds C/B ambulance which originally had a roof mounted siren. I believe this was most likely a Federal Q, so that is what I am looking to install. I have been searching online for sirens, and have found one for sale locally, but every one I find has a flat pedestal base. In all the pictures I have seen of a Q mounted to a C/B roof, the siren has an angled base to compensate for the curvature of the roof. How difficult is it going to be to find the correct base? So far, I have not been able to find one online. I am debating whether or not I should buy the Q that I found locally at a good price, then find the correct base later, or if I should keep searching for a siren that already has the base I need. Here is a photo I found online that shows what I am trying to do. Please note, this is not my car, but is a C/B with the same roof.

Dan - I too have a 1970 C/B-Oldsmobile ambulance, as you may have seen at http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16134 . Is yours a "Cotington 48" as well? Got some photos? I'd love to compare notes. Feel free to e-mail or PM me.

Please consider joining the Professional Car Society at http://www.theprofessionalcarsociety.org/join.html I think it's really worth the small fee.

John, I do not believe those are spacers in the photo, that is how the angled/curved bases were cast. Below is another photo I found online which better shows what the angle base looks like from the side. Having said that, I am considering making some spacers as a "Plan B" option if I cannot find the correct base. In my situation, the long bolts and spacers would have to go on the front two holes of the flat base to keep the siren level on the curved roof.
gfnsoXCZz_dexMGDIJKHCuYT_9X9Z9ufHvrr8UXPEeaPH-nnIDLwKArctHFiGsLSjT7gFRY_7G11hKlgy5LBdlvdCVLzQBjkLgRXSxAasmzUsNYIl3oLKSU5hEOiMIdtIqKeJayNVMqOco3pSmofy8U0CbTg7grTlRoJnJp2Rt0QvBi-BYj9c4hwI3zfjaEZ1A2rQ64lowxsL7StcSH0cR8w03c7Tvdw7I1ehT17vhdyTE0n0Y0S52_OBsjXEXEP2dW3bfxyRvnCQE_XObYjuRaJVUH_GEX4GBdIn1lr84BGWy0cIGo79a34pXO6PPHOoFMUE8azSO50EwE_hF7vWhzrEegqT1IuGwCD1nO3Xj6etRfwEcz1LFXBZDcLHyqrJ8HM-7_7uqcY9ZfiX_Uzbg2iS3wbL0sp92vbt43wZpC1PqgjuAemcjaltvjx8elazsbDInKVyjkuEimJ1E3DVmnbdTgOf4bFLbvHZZ8_QVQhwXrfNBolXjkI7e0At3s_aB5LBIVBy1gdABGu7ZzzLjqyhuH0jlgeTYCPkbV0KRFbUWtjtN4k4SAcQois9Y6vQiSWoRy_aYUiXeAc6amWNJW0CXr-yPuoBV1rkAlvKoNeBpdHeHnAX6qJsy2aAn-XCPDqnkr8v12weVy0P20YPTy52sUYv8KQ=w740-h555-no

Nicholas, yes, I am very familiar with your thread. The first time I saw it, I did a double take because I thought it was my car. Mine is also a Cotington 48. Attached is a somewhat current photo. I am trying to dig up a "before" photo. I would say we both bought our cars in similar conditions, but you are doing a much more thorough restoration. Someday, I would like to go back through the car and fix things the right way that were just made "good enough" the first time around. I have been meaning to join the PCS for many years and finally did it last week just prior to starting this thread.
2Gkrsm9pMSWvUGOT76jpqC9_nAalG7xs0i39gGrXnnar6avvp-iiprnMxBts_UtcQ7amP7QtotnttS5BlvWVTjzOcjsGZRH3-EJp1rX0-yA0aNuHL1YvZKL2RDMTIILi9CMxug2vJ4b_Yvx0zdcZDn5PmvPxLiJKhPbJyjOufatkYO2vKXxe8-MDMaCttabFSquxTMLnltqWimpz-2z48ZRIklVajLxfT3dzTqWY0BAgLNFoSJbdtPmeOdG1CYcGwzbtjrGa1RMXSzQ3IA8dSMTvIdHnLZxnt9a5QDEy-JEipMT_bJvYahm5IUXnb4e-7U3HtM8qF0vomLRThfQa6veintFIbVYxyAUaQipZYyHQ5H5bNuziSjZnMdw5jAMnY18Kd35TWCPizXzDFHwNdx7S01coSNctdAhIyG7KKrpITU98npRH0TV6v6lStgw-HCpOpcRxCaroKYDbXAnZ5TdY9bGOyfXCmHTZMoX2GKNFAqgVL6rmeNgX3wMLM02taaPJFSvrS6dIMW6-ZXhLsl7sc-vCoViFh_pkvuh6OrAgWJ57lVZpsMpxXNW5nmxqpRgtOzvErRsEMVDYNsEHV8B1FtfcgfZPMQWCLkTxP_g4gKP5R7FMVDX8QL7X9JKSV2VRvEhmANuITazU-OUr102LplpYXYV-yojQO-ZjliFnT6npqKAhWR9cV7QDyNIt5_XH_2T1Rn1QOrFVgzY4PruzJw=w720-h540-no

John, I do not believe those are spacers in the photo, that is how the angled/curved bases were cast. Below is another photo I found online which better shows what the angle base looks like from the side. Having said that, I am considering making some spacers as a "Plan B" option if I cannot find the correct base. In my situation, the long bolts and spacers would have to go on the front two holes of the flat base to keep the siren level on the curved roof.

Yes, it's a specifically curved base. Some of the later ambulances had a spacer/base (Kevin O'Connell reproduce(s)/(d) them) but this one just used the curved base. I know because I finally turned one up after much searching and the kindness of another PCS member.

Nicholas, yes, I am very familiar with your thread. The first time I saw it, I did a double take because I thought it was my car. Mine is also a Cotington 48. Attached is a somewhat current photo. I am trying to dig up a "before" photo. I would say we both bought our cars in similar conditions, but you are doing a much more thorough restoration. Someday, I would like to go back through the car and fix things the right way that were just made "good enough" the first time around. I have been meaning to join the PCS for many years and finally did it last week just prior to starting this thread.

All of the 1970 Cotington 48's seem to be near-clones. It's interesting how little variation there was considering they offered just as many options as Miller-Meteor.

I recall seeing your post on another forum a long ago. I am thrilled you have joined the PCS and have taken such care of the car. Please consider posting an "Intro" in the subforum for that here. Would love to see more of your car too!

Yes it's cast in the mount. But if they cast it you can can add it. Just a way to use the siren till you find the correct sloped mount.

Fortunately, I was able to locate a curved base through a member of the Antique Federal Signal Lighting & Sirens facebook group. My new base arrived in the mail last week and I was able to spend the day on Saturday mounting and wiring the siren. I still have some work to do rewiring the lights, but the siren portion of this project couldn't have gone better. I had some fun playing with the siren in my driveway once it was all put together. I think it sounds great, but my wife and the neighbors may disagree!

Attachments

• IMG_7185.jpg
    IMG_7185.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 470
I have a extra curved base , if anyone needs one. It would have worked on the 75 , but it would have put it to far back on the roof. With the flat base and spacer block I can put it front and center nicely.

Attachments

• 20201115_105345.jpg
    20201115_105345.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 65
  • 20201116_215200.jpg
    20201116_215200.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 20200913_152434.jpg
    20200913_152434.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 64
I have a new rear cover for a Federal Q if someone needs it. $225 plus shipping... It came from sunny California then to Arizona, then to Massachusetts, so it does have a lot of miles on it, but it looks great. I got it from a ghost buster collector.

Back