1971 GMC Suburban - Northern Virginia

David Henry

PCS Member
This would definitely need an internal rebuild as everything inside the patient is compartment is gutted.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/5529360548.html

This thing is so cool, but I have way too many projects at the time.
1971 GMC Suburban ex-ambulance. Three doors. Rear ambulance doors. It has all kinds of wiring (in need of some TLC) for a sound system and AC/DC inverter. 350ci, automatic.
It would be a great ride for music festivals, tailgating, pulling a vintage boat or camper, delivery truck for any variety of businesses. Use your imagination!
Runs and stops like it should. Clear title, but not currently registered or inspected.

its a stoner. take a lot. see it had factory air. love the shut off for the rear heater.

Ed, from the posts here it seems your the go to restoration guru. So I have a question, when looking at a unit like this, how would you estimate a fair price considering the back end alone probably need 8k worth of work?

no title says to me under a grand US. the one Ron has I gave just over a grand for. it was close enough that I could go get it my self. I had a little over 5g in it when I sold it and it was not finished yet. you can buy every part for this truck except the interior that stoner put in. my advice would be to get a Brothers catalog first then price out what you will need from the pictures. add a grand for AC

All the Stoner Suburbans I've seen of this vintage came with bucket seats and a custom center console so this truck may need a bunch of attention up in the drivers compartment too. All the missing ambulance conversion parts will far and away be the most difficult restoration items to address.

I picked up a 1971 GMC Stoner last year, mine is a 3/4 ton with the 402 big block. It was still fairly complete in the back (less the cot) but was missing the front console, not badly rusted and was running but not roadworthy. I paid a fraction of what this seller wants for his.

Feel free to check out my project's photo album, it may give you an idea of what the Stoner setup was and that will need to be located/fabricated.

Here: http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/1971-gmc-ambulance/

the buckets were the high end. most were the bench. I have seen the buckets in a number of different builders but 3 of the stoners I know of are bench seats.

reread the add this one has a tittle the one in Canada does not.

as will the build tag. stoner left them under the carpet in the drivers side. but the two front compartments shots show no evidence of one. I see all the switches are missing as is the radio blank. some one has been busy in the back end the rear doors have been covered with carpet. this one looks to me missing all the ambulance in side of it.take a little to pit it back in. but at least all the holes are there.

as will the build tag. stoner left them under the carpet in the drivers side. but the two front compartments shots show no evidence of one. I see all the switches are missing as is the radio blank. some one has been busy in the back end the rear doors have been covered with carpet. this one looks to me missing all the ambulance in side of it.take a little to pit it back in. but at least all the holes are there.
Anybody got a shot of a Stoner build tag? Was it put in there loose or was it somehow attached to the floorpan? All the carpeting in my truck was replaced but I have no problem pulling it all up if there might be something like that still under there.

OK, that's a GM build sheet. Fantastic to have but not generated by Stoner. My understanding is they never used any manufacturer plates, etc. at least on the older vehicles like the Suburbans. Great find! Hope I stumble across one when the interior comes out of mine.

no title says to me under a grand US. the one Ron has I gave just over a grand for. it was close enough that I could go get it my self. I had a little over 5g in it when I sold it and it was not finished yet. you can buy every part for this truck except the interior that stoner put in. my advice would be to get a Brothers catalog first then price out what you will need from the pictures. add a grand for AC

Thank you for the sage advice. I am marrying off my babygirl today, but told the seller we will chat on Monday.

guess I wasn't understanding what you wanted. they would order the suberban from the Calf. plant the front interior would be what they wanted, the rear would be bare, the only added the center counsel for the buckets, carpet and the divider up front. with the twin spotlights and the emergency switches. the wire for the rear and top lights were run up threw the dash into the roof on the right A pillar. other then that the drivers compartment was as it came from the plant. floor in back is 1/2 plywood as are the squad bench and the right wheel house. which contains the spare tire and the rear heater. the floor is chopped off at the center door with a extension to hold the bench on the left with a cabinet under there. the back side of the divider had a number of options. from on board piped O2, a ACLS cabinet and jump seat. here were a number of configurations. I have a flier at home that shows most of them.they were a cheap ambulance. built on a rough solid dependable body and chassis. you get one enjoy it, but don't pretend it's a high dollar rig

Back