Federal 175 beacon current requirements

Does anybody know the amperage requirements of this light?

I'm assembling a display for it consisting of a electrical work box and a 110v to 12v power source. Only speed bump is I cannot find an instruction sheet
or anyplace on line that gives me the necessary information.

I'm guessing about 30 amps maximum draw with all four lights on. But this is just a guess. I searched this forum as far back as I could and found nothing.

Thanks in advance.

\\\\

30 amps should be enough to light the bulbs and spin them. Not certain where you will find a transformer that will put out that much and be affordable.

Paul,

Ebay has them, adjustable power supplies, 110v to 12v 30a in the twenty dollar range. For intermittent use I'm assuming they will be fine.

Paul, forgot to thank you for your rapid reply.

I was gifted this light, date on the tag is May 1968. Clear polycarb dome, two red, two clear bulbs.

If you are going to purchase a power supply - check the continuous rating - not the advertised rating. For example, one communications manufacturer lists a unit as 20 A, but continuous is only 16 A.

I have run my 175 off my battery charger with out any problems. But rather then buy a power supply you don't need I suggest a battery and a charger. There is a formula for converting watts to amps. So your dealing with 4 30 watt bulbs and the motor. Off hand I would say 10 amps. But when I get home I'll hook it up and tell you what the meter says.

4 30 watt 12 volt lamps will be 10 amps± running, add whatever the motor draws and you have total load, probably around 13 amps.

You can run it with a charger and a small battery like a garden tractor battery. Power supply without the battery for a buffer will probably be more expensive.

here we are i did remember to hook it up. this charger is a 20 amp one 6 or 12 volt. yes the light will work on 6 volts but it's kind of slow, it draws 11 to 12 as it spins. video here https://www.dropshots.com/jer57747/date/2018-08-24/21:36:49 dang looks liek you need to back up on pictures then bring it forward to get the video. all the url takes you to is the last frame

Attachments

• IMG_8353.jpg
    IMG_8353.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_8354.jpg
    IMG_8354.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 126
Back