Gas tank sending unit

My Criterion's gas gauge is not exactly reliable, actually running out of gas one time, and have been told I can purchase the sending unit from NAPA or such at a reasonable price. My gas gauge does move but when I ran out of gas I still showed between 1/4 & 1/2 tank of gas.
Anyone replace just the sending unit?

feel for you

my hearse ran out of gas one night right after i bought it I forgot that the last owner said that when the gauge hits the E its all done, and that is what happen to me, just took 3 men to push it to the gas pump. My limos gauge dose not regester when you first start it stays on E after a few minites it will go to the right mark .is that the sencer too? I have not looked to see what it would be required to change it

changing the sending unit is not all that much work once the tank is out. I don't remember if the repair place is listed with our vendors here or not. they used a standard caddy tank but altered the fill hole. as the gage works by grounding it may be just a bad ground wire. that would give you a off calibration. the ones in the 72 olds have the bad habit of varnishing up and sticking when they have been left sitting. a little fresh fuel and some much needed riding around so far has freed them up.

sorry Richard the fresh gas trick was for lee. but yours a good whack might fix. check the ground wire it may be off on the frame. the worse part of all of these problems is that in order to check the sending unit you have to drop the tank. the unit sets in a cork gasket and the ground wire is clipped on the unit. it may still ground threw the tank if everything is clean but there is so much dirt and rust that it's not a good ground. one way to check is to clean off a spot on the edge of the tank and the frame and put a alligator clip jumper wire from them. if the gage does something different then its a poor ground. if the ground wire is off the sending unit then this may not show any difference if the unit is not grounding to the tank. but I can tell you from experience that if someone else has not changed the rubber fuel lines coming out of the tank you need to do that anyway so dropping the tank and cleaning up everything should be on your week end things to do. that would be on both cars. but if your going to do it run the fuel low in the tank first. dealing with 25gl of high test is not fun. :poster_oops:

Also, don't use a incandescent drop light. A local shop burned about a month ago when the gas spilled on the drop light and the bulb burst, causing the huge fire ball that engulfed the entire shop. They saved the shell, but it was totally burned on the inside. If I were doing this project, I would drive it till it was just about empty, and then leave it running in the driveway till it ran out of gas, before tackling the removal. I do know a trick that makes this job a lot easier, and I will share this with you by telephone. Once again......... membership has its privilages...

Richard
If your going to whack anything around the gas tank with a "BFH", ensure its a rubber mallet or a rubber coated "dead blow" (no pun intended) hammer.
Sparks and gasoline do not play well together.:bonk:

Back