Hearse Brake mystery solved

Aloha
My 62 Cadillac Eureka Hearse has always had poor brakes. Replaced everything and still it just didn't stop well.
I could only get it to stop quick if I
had the emergency brake engaged slightly which you are not supposed to do while driving. Also strange was that my rear shoes just never seem to wear out. We have checked the auto brake adjuster that works when you reverse
and that was OK.

I finally came to the conclusion that the wheel cylinder actuator rods for Commercial Chassis must be longer than ones for sedans and that the previous owner of my Hearse may have replaced them with those shorter ones for sedan.

I called several junk yards and found a place that had a 61 Commercial Chassis and they puled the drum off one side and the guy checked the wheel cylinder actuator rods and he said they were about 1/4" longer than that of sedan.

Problem is that he cold not get the drum off the other side said it was taking too long. So all I can get is two and I need four.

Anyone know of a 1960 to 1962 Commercial Chassis Hearse out there so I could get two more? Help.

Thanks
Ricky

I don't remember if the brakes were there or not, but there are the remains of a '60 Eureka at Desert Valley Auto Parts in Casa Grande, AZ

Seems like if worst came to worst, you could take the ones you have, cut them in half, and have somebody weld in an extra 1/4 inch of rod into the middle. I don't know of anyone that has done that, but I don't know why it wouldn't work. Certainly easier than trying to find a rare part off a rare car.

Thanks James. Desert Valley Auto Parts guy said he does not recall a Hearse
but said he would check Monday. Said he has 3,000 cars.

Todd, good idea take the rods to machine shop to have them made longer
however my mechanic does not want my big Hearse sitting in his shop
while they machine it. I'll still check with machine shop to see if they can do it in a day.

Hope to find the real ones though. Thank you
Ricky

If you have one of the old ones, then you can take it to the machine shop, and have them turn you some new ones that are a 1/4 inch longer. Shouldn't take very long on a lathe. I wouldn't bother with cutting and welding in a 1/4", since it is going to be more effort than making new ones. If the welded one isn't exactly straight, then it might not put even pressure on the shoes.

GROUP 4.675 - LINK Rear Wheel Cylinder to Brake Shoe

Same idea, probably a better solution. I guess I was thinking of preserving the special shape of the ends, but probably not that hard to slot one end and round the other. Still easier than getting them off of a crusty 50 year old car.

I'm assuming in all of this that they're not available as a replacement part anymore?

I searched the Cadillac parts books that I have, and can't find any cross over to other years, because the books are later printings. Need to have a mid 1960's parts book to find the needed information. I did find that the commercial chassis cars did use a different link than the standard cars. If you have a diameter and length of the needed one, that might make it easier to find. I would think that an good auto parts store should have this item or be able to get one for you.

None left to be found

They said the 60 Eureka at Desert Valley Auto Parts in Casa Grande, AZ does not have the rear end. Ive called lots of junk yards no 1960 to 1962 Cadillac Hearse or FLower cars. These old Hearses are really not be found any more.

I'll try the machine shop route as suggested to make new one once I get the two the junk yard is sending me.

If anyone knows of Hearse out there in those years let me know I would try to get the whole rear end.
Thanks Ricky

Ricky

Tom Hoczyk may have a 1962 parts car you can get the rear parts from.

Give him a try. He is in the members list section.

He is a super nice guy and will help you if he can.

Darren

Any idea if the 1960 75 limos used the same parts?

It appears from my research that 1960 through 1967 commercial chassis and series 75 all use the same "link". I can't be absolutely certain, since I don't have all the books needed, and the information is vague and contradictory in the books that I do have.

Before you get too far, get the brake proportioning valve checked. It may be plugged or blocked...........

There is no proportioning valve used in a dual master cylinder drum brake system. Proportioning valves are only used in front disk rear drum braking systems, to balance the braking system for even stopping.

I will be parting a 1960 Series 75, just don't know how soon I will get to it with the busy season at work and not much daylight at the end of the day.

Aloha James

I am told that it must be a Hearse or Flower car 60 to 62. The Limos used different rear end so I'm told.

My rear end has a big nut that holds the drum on and a slot in the axel
you slide in a square pin.

I will also try to contact Tom.
Thanks everyone for ideas.
RIcky

Can't get one to copy!

My car is in the shop for almost two weeks awaiting the four wheel cylinder
actuating rods from a 1961 Flower car at a junk yard in California.
The junkyard guys took a week to get around to getting only one drum off and could not get the other one off. The guy said he would ship me just the two
for $50! so I could get a machine shop to copy. Keeps saying he will ship them for a week now. Now he's (the owner) not even there off with "some personal problem"and just some other guy answering the phone and knows nothing. Mean time my mechanic is getting tired of having my Hearse sitting in his shop almost two weeks and moving it around everyday. I originally took it to the shop because one wheel was making metal on metal noise like brake shoe rivets going into the drum. Its a lost cause can't get these. The junkyard owner originally said they are "about" a 1/4" longer than regular Cadillac wheel cylinder
actuating rods but I can't go by that it has to be correct length.
If someone could just give me a lead on a 1960 to 62 Hearse out there that still has the brakes or could verify the correct length. I don't trust the books.
Help.
Thank you all.
Ricky Jones
BTW Jame is your 1960 Series 75 a Hearse I think 75 is Limo.

Ambulances, Hearses, Flower Car chassis's are referred to in the parts books as CC, Limos are called 75, if built by GM. If the limo is built by one of the body builders, then it would have been built on a commercial chassis (CC).

Hearse Brake mystery NOT sloved

My car is still in the shop. Cracked drum was the metal on metal I thought was the brake shoe rivets going into the drum.

The junkyard never did send the two wheel cylinder actuating rods. He did say they (Hearse) are "about" a 1/4" longer than regular Cadillac wheel cylinder
actuating rods.

I gave up and went to a machine shop here and they made 4 new ones 1/4" longer for $480.!!

Took it to my mechanic and got a call today that with the new longer wheel cylinder actuating rods installed he can't get the drum on. So much for the info I got that they were about 1/4" longer. Ive got the correct wheel cylinders Raybestos Doorman # WC34475 and 74. So I'm out of ideas.
Maybe they should have been an 1/8" longer. WOuld an 1/8" make any difference?

All I know is that if I drive with the emergency brake on about a quarter way down the car stops on a dime. There is some drag though so not good to drive like that. Without the emergency brake on the front wheels only will lock up in full brake in the rain and the rear do nothing. The the Hearse just slows down NOT stop.

several mechanics and several years and Im still driving this daily driver with poor brakes. Its my work car I need it.

Any ideas?
Thanks Ricky

Back