Gas Tank Flushing Technique's/Tips....?

Well this time I come before you seeking Tips or Techniques on how to go about Correctly Flushing out the Gas Tank on my '67 Fleetwood 75 Series Limo....
As I've already lost out on a few possible Jobs/Gigs as a result of the Limo not being in Operating order and with Proms being just around the corner I'd like to get her up and running again for a few close friends that would like to arrive in true Style! (lol)

I wanted to take her (The Limo) out for a little cruise a couple weeks back when it was just beautiful out......when I starting having some Issues that started up last fall when I bought the car.....thinking a Carb Kit and Rebuild would cure the problem I had that done.....as it was in need of one reguardless......It did nothing to cure the Intial Problem.....but put me $130 in the hole.
So I figured maybe one of the lines going to the tank or filter were clogged with Rust Particles.....(which the Fuel Filter was Last fall, but that was Cleaned out and Replaced)
I Blew out Each line both ways, and hooked everything back up and attempted it again.......Still Nothing

So I then took the Fuel Pump off the car and went to the local Parts Store and ordered a new one (-$44) since there really wasn't a way to check if the old one was good or not (I assume not, since the Fuel Filter was Plugged up with Rust Particles and Debris)

When the Fuel Pump Arrives, I want to be sure that I'm not going to be doing this all over again down the road. So I'm looking at Dropping the Tank out of it while I wait for the Fuel Pump to Get here, and Flushing it out.

Any Tips, Techniques, Suggestions on how to go about this, As I've never done anything like this before and don't wanna screw anything up.

As Always, Thanks!

I know this is not much help but there is a kit you can buy (cant remember what it is called it was so many years ago) that you pour into the tank (out of the car) and swish it around and it will disolve the rust and then you put in another chemical in the kit that coats the inside of the tank with a rubberized plastic material. It will even seal minor pin holes. Works outstanding I have used it on my old 66 Superior that had the same issues you are describing and after the treatment and new fuel lines I never had an issue since, and my tank was BAD, I would completely plug up a new fuel filter in about 10 miles of driving.

As john said there is a kit sold tru the POR people, i have used it on a couple of motor cycles and car tanks it works great. It is a 3 part process, the first is a solvent you put in the tank that is a degreaser, you swish it around the tank then pour out, " i have done the first 2 steps with a hunck of chain in the tank to break things up". Then the next step is a metal prep conditioner that etches it and gets it ready for the last step. The last step is like the por paint into the tank and swish it around and pour out the extra, the it has to air dry it think i for about 24- 48 hours. It will fill pin holes and if there are rust piles inside it seals them to the tank. that stuff gets real hard the drops that came tru the pinholes i had a real hard time to sand them down. Also if you get the paint on your hand it will have to wear off! Also POR stands for paint over rust if you have not heard of them.

Ditto on what Rocky said. Since my mechanic can no longer get the "good" solvent he used to use (at least in Calif. anyway) we tried this in the '51 and it worked great. Don't forget the hunk of chain, it really helps. :flame2:

P.S. Now I know what POR stands for. Thanks, Rocky

Cleaning Gas Tanks

On all our restorations that have been sitting at all, we "routinely" pull the tanks and send them to our local commercial radiator shop. They run them thru their hot tank, then seal the inside with some kind of coating that isn't affected by the gasoline. Never had had a problem yet. MM

Gas Tank Flushing

Thanks Everyone for the Insight and Help, as I wasn't sure what route to go with something like this, But I'll do some Checking on the Kits Mentioned and if for whatever reason I would be unable to get something through the local Parts Stores in the Area, I May just take the Tank to a Local Radiator Shop and see what they can do or offer????

I dropped the tank out of the car tonight,.........(I don't recall the tank being that full.....coulda swore I had it near empty)......But after emptying the contents into Gas Jugs (That will need to be filtered some how before its used as it appeared cloudy/dirty)

I noticed there was some Stuff in the tank that was slopping around inside after all the fuel had been emptied out....So I'm glad I dropped the tank from the car.

And even though I did this outside in the Fresh Air.....It didn't seem to help matters any.......As I'm Pretty sure I could go Duck Hunting with a Rake right about now! :stars:

Back