Question for the FDs

Never heard of them, but I wonder if they would help me get this American flag back to the family in my hearse. Still had a tri-folded american flag from a vietnam vet funeral in the 70s.

Flag was probably placed there for a future need. Nothing worse than needing a flag, and not having one at hand. Just like car keys. Always keep a spare in the hearse, just in case you should need it.

Flag was probably placed there for a future need. Nothing worse than needing a flag, and not having one at hand. Just like car keys. Always keep a spare in the hearse, just in case you should need it.

That makes sense. Previous 2 owners have passed on a story that the flag was used for a Vietnam Vets funeral in the 1970s, and was left with the car. But it is entirely possible that this story is not true.

It's also possible a Nam Vets family didn't want anything to do with the flag.

Years ago I attended a funeral for a Nam Vet's father. When the FD handed the flag to the Nam Vet he just passed it to another Nam Vet, and the flag continued to be passed down a line of Nam Vets until it reached the hands of a Korean era ANC Nurse.

Believe me, there are still plenty of bad feelings held by Nam Vets. Company I worked for my last 12 years before retiring had either Bonnie Blues or Stars & Bars on most of the walls, and the flag pole outside had been torched to become a large umbrella for the picnic tables. That company was in Rochester NY. Never figured it was my right or place to challenge any Nam Vet about his feelings, so I didn't.

Back