1930s or 1940s Packard hearse with Czech (?) bodywork...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the hearse that took Pres. Benes of Czechoslovakia to his final resting place. I sent the pics to Walt McCall and George Hamlin some time ago, neither of whom could really identify it. It is an oddball, for sure. I've included their quotes sent to me by email.

Walt said:
What an oddball! Looks like a 1938-39 Henney hearse body -- but the vertical grille is from a ca. 1934-35 senior series Packard. What's more, the style of hood indicates that it's a V-12! Thanks for this. - Walt McCall

George said:
The timing was not the best - your email came in here just as I left for a PCS event in Michigan, and I'm now trying to catch up.

What an interesting car! I could use a larger photo, but the chassis appears to be 1935 Packard and the body looks like the Henney job of a slightly later era - but it might very well be a European body, because of that large (and unsplit) windscreen. The split windscreen came to Packard and Henney in 1938. That particular piece of glass is so large that I am voting for a European body.

Whatever that car is carrying, it is enormously heavy.

Geo Hamlin

pohreb_e1benese.jpg

benespackard.jpg

LR Overweight?

Was President Benes a "big boy" or was the leveling device out of whack? Looks like the left rear fender well is very close to the tire? Great pictures! MM

look again

Not only is the rear fender very close to the ground the tires on the left side do not match. Like so many 'other' (I am not sure 3rd would apply) world countries they used what they had to get the job done.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back