early 70's moldings

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
since we are in between cars at the moment I'm trying to get something done on the 73 S&S. the bed liner I put on last year did not hold up to the SD sun this year. but we really need to get some paint on it if I can. noticed as I took things apart that S&S used the same fastening system that GM did on there cars. so for those of you that have a MM or superior here is a alternative to the side moldings. and yes the moldings are the same shape as the GM. it just that the quarter molding is about a foot longer then a two door DeVille

Attachments

• IMG_0210.jpg
    IMG_0210.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0247.jpg
    IMG_0247.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 113
one more set:D the first is the pop rivet set with the stud nose piece and a set of gm replacement studs. the second it the S&S molding and the gm one side by side.

Attachments

• IMG_0251.jpg
    IMG_0251.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 121
I was able to get stainless steel screws that were specially made to hold the plastic clips for my 1978 Superior Cadillac. Superior also used the same screws and attachments. I lucked out, and found all the original hardware was still available for the car, but that was before GM went bankrupt. Don't know what the present situation is with getting parts from them. I was told that all the parts that are being returned from the dealerships that are closing, are being scrapped. It's no wonder that they are in financial trouble.
As for moulding lengths, I found that they just hunted till they found the correct length piece. That particular moulding contour was used for about 10 years, with only the attachment method changing.

GM would send the screws with the moldings. those pictured are the Stainless steel ones from GM right out of private stock. the rivets I'm using are the aluminum ones. put them in before you prime and they get painted right to the hole. the clips for them are readily had at a lot less then the ones used buy MM for the same molding. but if you do use them plug the holes for the old ones to keep water out.

Back