'56 Superior Cadillac Ambulance

Kurt Arends

PCS Elected Director 2021-2024
Checked out this '56 Superior Cadillac Ambulance yesterday in Omaha, NE. The owner is willing to sell, but car is not advertised anywhere currently. The car is completely original, except for the 2 non-correct beacons, and has the oval front and rear tunnel lights that were new for '56. The owner said that he had been offered $3000 for it last Summer, but the guy never came back. I think that an offer between $2000 and $3000 will own it. He seems very reasonable as to the value of the car, given its condition. This one really needs to be restored and preserved. Interior is 100% original and car is red inside the door jambs.

Attachments

• '56 Superior Ambulance.jpg
    '56 Superior Ambulance.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,788
pics

me too. maybe under hood and any pictures really. know anything else about the car? dont care where it came from really just wanna know about the car.

Rear interior was full of stored "stuff". You could see that the original cabinet, etc. was still there. I wasn't dressed for a lot of digging and snooping. I was just driving by and the chain link enclosure happened to be open and the owner was there. He had bought it with the intention of turning it into one of his "works of art", which would have been REALLY unfortunate!

Should have asked for a broom to sweep the roof off prior to taking the photos, but had to get back to work. If you look closely, you will see that it is a Super Rescuer with the high roof. It does need the rear door glass.

$2-3k price range is one third the asking price of this like condition '56 Superior 616 that was outside Houston, which subsequently sold and left for Australia.

dsc08079l.jpg

Shouldn't last long once word gets out. Nice find Kurt!

56 cad

is it possible to get a contact info? if all there are close to it id like to try to own it. any help appreciated. thanks in advance.

'56 Superior Super Rescuer

Danny & Kyle,
Give me a day or so to ponder this one. I will give you all of the contact info as soon as I decide that I don't need to own this one myself. As of right now, I am leaning toward not needing to own it. That said, I do want a PCS member to own it if I am not going to. This guy's intentions were to screw it up big time. Can't let that happen. He has already done that to a '70 M-M high top ambulance. I will update you with more info and photos as soon as I make a decision. These early high-tops don't turn up every day.

I agree that this one needs to be saved, but I also hope that it doesn't wind up on eBay as a result of being listed here, or in the hands of someone that isn't prepared to restore the car to its former glory. All too often the cars that make it to these forums, wind up being bought and flipped for a profit, and the people that want them for themselves for restoration and enjoyment are frozen out of the "bidding" by others. I understand that there is a place for dealers, however, there is also the serious car collector that just can't afford to get into bidding wars.

I agree that this one needs to be saved, but I also hope that it doesn't wind up on eBay as a result of being listed here, or in the hands of someone that isn't prepared to restore the car to its former glory. All too often the cars that make it to these forums, wind up being bought and flipped for a profit, and the people that want them for themselves for restoration and enjoyment are frozen out of the "bidding" by others. I understand that there is a place for dealers, however, there is also the serious car collector that just can't afford to get into bidding wars.

you've gotta pay to play...

I think Paul is referring to me. If I did get this car and didn't decide to keep it I know what ever I did to it would make it a better car and get to someone who really cares about our hobby. Prime example would be the 69 ford econoline ambulance built by superior. It was shown here for anyone to grab but even though several expressed interest in buying it no one did so I got it and still have it. Yes, it is for sale and yes it is better than when I got it and price is very fair. I am a collector/dealer but alot of good cars come from dealers being we have the resources to get out and find these cars and take them on trade, etc.

Sorry Danny, however, you were not one that I was thinking of.. What I was thinking of are the people that read our forums as guests, and then go for the cars that are found by our members. A prime example of this is the 1962 (?) Eureka in New Mexico. It was purchased by someone in New Jersey that immediately put it up for sale for a very large profit (if it sold) in Hemmings. If it were to be bought by a dealer, and flipped, I would rather see that you be the dealer, since you support the website as both a very generous Super Site Supporter, and also as a Banner Advertiser. Thanks for your continued support of the Friends of the Professional Car Society and the Professional Car Society.

you've gotta pay to play...

This is correct and I agree with you wholeheartedly. For this reason, I invite you to join the Professional Car Society and also become a website Site Supporter. I look forward to seeing both titles alongside of your name in the very near future.

Paul Steinberg
President, Professional Car Society
Senior Website Administrator

'56 Superior Super Rescuer

These are the only other photos that I took of the car on my innitial inspection.

Attachments

• '56 Superior 2.jpg
    '56 Superior 2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 630
  • '56 Superior 3.jpg
    '56 Superior 3.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 654
  • '56 Superior 4.jpg
    '56 Superior 4.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 625
Does anyone happen to know if the rear door glass is the same in the '50 through '53 Superior coaches as it is in the '54 through '56 Superior coaches? I am assuming that the rear glass would also be the same in the standard roof coaches as it is in the 52" Super Resuer. It looks like the only change with the higher roof is in the door itself, not in the glass. This car needs a back glass.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 566
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 560
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 472
You're correct in your assessment that identical door glass was used between '54-'56 Superior models, only placement changed. Measured '51-'53 Superior for you Kurt, see below. Without having quick '54-'56 access to compare measurements, I am certain that glass will not interchange with '51-'53. Top and bottom corner radii differ on '51-'53 while '54-'56 appear much closer. Exposed glass is first measurement; parenthesis contains best glass opening measurement 'guess' without removing glass.

When viewing comparison, keep in mind '51-'53 is a bit of an optical illusion as it cants forward more than the actual top to bottom taper. ('51-'53 and '54-'56 pics were not taken at exact angles.) Also, note croppings are not identical. '54-'56 is probably not narrower at base than '51-'53.

dsc02341cw.jpg

I have a 55 S&S rear glass available (in Calgary)
Also all doors and sheet metal for entire car free to good home you just have to go and get it..

Back