1968 Cadillac door panel inserts...

I am wondering if anyone out there knows if there is a place that restores/re-does the walnut veneer inserts in the door panels of my '68 Fleetwood. The rear panels are fine, just the front ones that need attention. I have found sheets of walnut veneer on the internet, but have no idea how to get the old ones off, as they are bonded to a steel sheet. Also, if I would get them off, what is the best way to attach the new ones? Here are some pics of what I am talking about. As you can see, the rest of the door panel looks great, just the wood part that is a mess. The varnish/shellac or whatever they used is peeling off in sheets and the wood looks almost rotten underneath. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Pics below......the veneer is quarter-sawn walnut and about 1/42 or .025 inch thick...can't really be sanded, it's too thin.

Attachments

• 92310 008.jpg
    92310 008.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 657
  • 92310 006.jpg
    92310 006.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 551
  • 92310 007.jpg
    92310 007.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 540
  • 92310 009.jpg
    92310 009.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 552
since you have it off the door. I would try a little stripier on it, or scrape it with a razor blade. it looks to be the finish that is bad not the vainer. get the old finish removed then re clear them. if you cut threw to the backing tin then you were going to replace it anyway. if you just want to replace it. sand it smooth with 80 grit paper and then use the weld wood contact cement and glue the new right over what is left of the old.

Thanks Ed...

Well, I followed your advice and got some stripper and stripped off all of the old finish. Then, I took some stain and touched up the places where it had all come off. Did a little sanding with some really fine sand paper and then three coats of polyurethane, using 0000 steel wool in between. Here are the results. I have to say, I am pretty shocked that it looks this good, (compare the BEFORE photos) as I am not a woodworker in any form. Thanks for the advice....now, one more panel to go!

Attachments

• car 004.jpg
    car 004.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 514
  • car 008.jpg
    car 008.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 521
man can scare himself every now and then. they look good I did not know they used real wood on the 75s. the polly will last a lot longer then the varnish did

man can scare himself every now and then.

I guess so. This is the first time I had ever tried anything like this.....I sure am happy with the result. Dumb luck I guess.....:D Now it's the driver's side door next.

Yes, there is real wood all through the car. There is a wood applique on the lower dash where the headlight switch, wiper switch, igniton, climate control and radio are. Mine is horrible looking. I got a new one, have it stained and ready to put on, but have to get what is left of the old one off. It says to glue the new one on with 3M contact cement, but haven't been able to locate any locally yet. Is there an equivalent that is more common?

use the weld wood professional grade . follow the instruction on the can and pretend you a professional. I do it all the time. I find it works a lot better then most of the 3 M stuff now. they have altered they formula to be more Eco friendly I guess.

Back