Federal Siren/Light combo

Mike Owens

PCS Member
Please identify for me the proper model # for a chrome Federal Siren/light combination that has dual tone siren and Solar ray light in the front, back light optional. Whatever model # this I am searching for one in good condition with roof mounting bracket. Thanks!

Please identify for me the proper model # for a chrome Federal Siren/light combination that has dual tone siren and Solar ray light in the front, back light optional. Whatever model # this I am searching for one in good condition with roof mounting bracket. Thanks!

#78 (add a B for brake, R for rear flasher)

What car will this be mounted on, and where (other than the roof)?

one of these. it dosent have the rear light option but thats it this one has the superior mount on it.

Attachments

• federal #78-b.jpg
    federal #78-b.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 216
Federal Siren/Light Combo

picture.php

Upon recommendation by PCS members I am having the after market pedestal removed that this beacon ray sits on. The previous owner created this arrangement to be able to get this car in his garage. After removal, I will place matching beacon rays on the upper flat roof, centered between the solar rays and the edge of the ambulance sign. I would like to place the 175B? either on the original slanted roof where the pedestal was or on recommendations from PCS folks on the upper flat roof centered between the 2 newly placed beacon rays. The car may have originally had a coaster siren as there is a rocker switch on the console labeled siren brake. It currently has a Federal electronic siren with 100 watt under hood speaker.
So, I am seeking input as follows: 1) Identifying number of a Federal dual tone chrome siren with brake and w/wo back light. If we think the siren would be best mounted on the upper flat roof between the beacon rays, then then rear light would be a nice option. If mounted on the slanted roof in front of the ambulance sign, then the rear light would kind of be an unneeded extra. 2) Your experienced input as to where to locate the siren. Original Superior factory materials shows this option available either way. 3) Based on #2, then the appropriate mounting bracket would be very important 4) And finally locating and buying the siren and mounting bracket of choice. 5) Joe Dorgan does not currently have any version of the above available. Remember, I have been at this game less than a year, but am so proud of my classic car, 1970 Cadillac Superior Rescuer and highly value the input of my fellow PCS members. Thanks...

siren and light configuration was owners preference. but to be correct from most services less is more. superior was good at using a generic label card in there controle box so if there is not a switch over that label it most likely did not have a mechanical one . brake would be a momentary on switch. I will say that you need to be careful were you mount it as the fiberglass is not reinforced everywhere. normal spot or lets say the most used spot where it was reinforced is over the windshield.

John ED;
Interestingly enough, the car does have the metal reinforcement plate in the original roof underneath the pedestal. I am thinking because of that reason, that will probably be my first choice in placement. Now the next major task will be to find the siren combo and correct mount. So what am I looking for correctly and numerically for a dual tone chrome Federal with a solar ray light in front?

So what am I looking for correctly and numerically for a dual tone chrome Federal with a solar ray light in front?

Once again, for clarity:

#78 (add a B for brake)

Cab mounting would be the most appropriate.

Using more than two beacons - especially with four bulbs each - on the roof is the most you'll want in order not to overtax the car's electrical system.

Does this car have its original 130-amp alternator, with dual batteries?

What, if any are the hole configuration that is drilled in the steel reinforcement plate. What are the number of holes, and center to center across, and center to center front to back. To get the center to center measurement, measure from the front edge of the first hole to the front edge of the second hole. If the holes are not evenly spaced front to back, then a diagonal measurement will also help. This will help to identify the base that was used, and give you the correct series of siren that originally came mounted to the car. If there are no holes, that would indicate that it was ordered with the reinforcement, but a mechanical siren was never installed on the roof.

Siren

Mike,
Just for the heck of it here is a picture of my C5L mounted on my 70 54" Rescuer.

This will be replaced in the next few months with a SuperChief as soon as I get it back from Kevin O'Connell.....:)

276_zpsqzfvtper.jpg

Last edited:

Dear Mike;
Just to throw a monkey wrench, or two, into your thinking consider the following.
1) Slightly remove the switch panel and see if the Siren Brake switch has wires running to and from it into the wiring harness. Unless it does the car did NOT originally have a mechanical siren. The switch was just put in as part of a standard switch panel.
2) By 1970 Siren Light combos were old technology. The newest and greatest was the Federal PA-20 Interceptor (or other 100 watt electronic siren) with dual CHROME Speakers. Which would be perfect for the flat spot on the ante roof. And you would have much less current draw and no need to re-enforce the ante roof platform. You are going to need all 100 amps from your alternator for all your lights during parades. The mechanical siren will suck your battery dry, and make the lights look like crap. Plus you would save about $300-$400 over what you would have to spend for the siren/light combo, reinforcing, and installation.
3) When you go to mount those beacons on the two front corners be sure to center them as close as possible to the corner, and have the red name plate facing forward and DIRECTLY over the center line of each Solar Ray.
I had a 1968 Superior Rescuer with 4 Federal 173s and two Solar Rays in the front like you have. It was GREAT!!!
Good luck.

Thanks Joe for some interesting information. Any chance you could a post a picture of your '68. I would like to see this configuration. My main interest in a dual tone is that was the type of mechanical siren I grew up with in my early days of ambulance service. I just thought a roof mounted 78 with a Solar Ray would be a nice look. For Paul Steinberg, I am going to check out the reinforcing plate underneath the pedestal to see what, if any type of mechanical roof siren was original to the car. Thanks again for your interest in this thread...;)

the mounting bracket is usually a 6 inch wide strip from the top of the wishield opening to the first cross bow just over the b pillar. if yours has a zipper headliner you have access to it easily enough. this is what it looked like in the 63

Attachments

• IMG_5321a.jpg
    IMG_5321a.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 117
Dear Mike;
I am sorry but I do not have a photo.
Maybe someone can find a picture somewhere.
I have been trying to find one for year without success.
I never owned the car. I just started my ambulance career in it in.
The car was Superior's Demo Ambulance for 1968.
It was a high top Rescuer painted red and white.
It was featured at the 1968 IAFC Convention.
It had 4 clear Federal 173s on the roof, one on each corner.
The two front ones were red-red-white bulbs and the rear ones were all red.
It had a red and white interior with large front bucket seats and a center console. A Federal PA-20 Interceptor was mounted in the center of the console.
On the front it had two red Solar Rays and on the back two red PAR 46 sealed beams (flashing). It had Unity dual purpose (Red Flasher/White Spot light) spotlights on each A pillar.
It was bought slightly used (demo car as I said) from Parks Superior Sales and sold to Fitzgerald Ambulance Service in Waterbury, Connecticut in 1968 or early 1969.
It was transferred to Campion ambulance service when they bought Fitzgerald's in the early 70's. I lost track of it after that.
I would give just about anything to find this car.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Joe

Back