Dr. Nick Studer saves a life in an ambulance.

Thank you for sharing

Paul, thanks for sharing. Nick, what can one say. Touch the life of another in way words cannot begin to describe. So well done.

WOW!

Nick...words cannot describe what was shown on that clip. Exceptional work by an exceptional Doctor. Thank you!

WOW>>>that is Fantastic....Such awesome news,at a time when we just dont get much "Good" news......Hats off to you Dr Studer !! God Bless you !

On another note, since I am from the old school ambulance era, do modern day ambulances now carry blood ? I know several current paramedics currently licensed in California and they told me that the only way they can get blood to a scene is to pick it up at a local hospital or a blood bank...so could someone please educate me a bit ?? Thank you..:confused:

From mash unites in Korea to what they do today to bring the ER into the field today. A lot of changes in pre Hospital care. Glad you are able to share your training threw this program with the crew. Nothing like a true emergency handled will to cap it off.

Dr Studer, that is one amazing story and Mr Smith is a very lucky man! I can only imagine how wonderful it must be, to save someone's life.

This story brought tears to my eyes, what a stunning feat! Nick, so well done, thank you for what you do for all of us, your fellow Americans, citizens, and humans on a daily basis. And thank you for your military service to your country and ours! I wish we could hear these stories way more often. THANK YOU NICK, to say amazing job severely understates what you and your team did for this patient!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a link to another article about this amazing, heroic, wonderful story and it includes a video clip that appears to show our very own Dr. Nick establishing that line, and then skillfully inserting the catheter into the important vein on this once dying patient. All in the back of an ambulance. PLUS, from skids down of the helo to OR first incision time was a miraculous 8 minutes. That golden hour has shrunk down to incredibly small size in this case. I couldn't be more proud of our very own Dr. Nick! You can tell in the video how incredibly calm, professional, and wonderfully talented he was while saving this man's life, his technique was as calm and steady as a mill pond on a still evening. Nick you had obviously done this before, you performed flawlessly.

Nick, your impeccable research, writings, and work that you do on your professional cars you are restoring help illustrate what kind of a meticulously thorough, and talented man you are. Even though I only know you as one of my many PCS friends and of course as Dr. Studer or Dr. Nick, I am SO PROUD of you and cannot wait to meet as many of you wonderful PCS friends and neighbors as possible in person some day soon.

Nick you are truly a hero, so well done.

Dr Studer, Just saw the story and video. Again, an AWESOME job! Thank you again for your service to our country and to your EMS community as well ! Words are not enough to convey my gratitude! God bless and keep on saving lives!:thumbsup::applause:

Nick,

Becoming a Paramedic in the mid 70’s we had several physicians who were passionate about pre hospital care and often rode with us on calls. It awesome to see that there are still “street savvy” physicians riding the truck, bringing new innovative procedures and techniques.

Well done.

Folks - thanks for the kind words. It was a very interesting case and highlighted some really interesting facets of operations in this one EMS system. "Direct to OR" really is important, but whole blood takes the cake. Kind of nuts it went to JEMS and such. To answer some of the above questions:

1. Prehospital physicians were of course the first means of delivering "Advanced Life Support." Of course, as the population rapidly grew, medicine became ever more specialized, and physician numbers dedicated to general practice shrank - this went to the wayside in favor of paramedical personnel. In a sense, this has come back full circle with a subspecialty of Emergency Medicine being that of EMS, the most recently approved board certification in fact.... It isn't common yet - but I imagine it will be as prehospital care is recognized as increasingly important. https://www.ems1.com/patient-care/a...s-we-still-make-house-calls-fvyVfZRkI45FdtE6/

2. I haven't moved to Houston metro area. I am an Assistant Medical Director for one EMS agency there as part of the DOD's EMS Fellowship, this program also includes San Antonio FD EMS and Austin-Travis County EMS.

3. Whole Blood isn't common on ambulances either. Blood products in general are becoming ever more common in helicopter EMS, but first ground ambulance service to carry it was indeed Cypress Creek EMS. Two supervisor fly cars carry blood and are auto-dispatched to high priority calls. The physician fly car self-assigns to calls based upon priority and availability.

Back