Cotner-Bevington Professional Cars

Does anyone know what year the Oldsmobile Division started supplying cars directly to C-B/Comet for conversion? I was lead to believe that the earlier Comets were dealer purchased, customer supplied sedans that were then converted by the coachbuilder.

Terry

I would guess that did not take place till the move to Arkansas and the connection with Wayne corp. they would have been big enough then for
GM to supply them with incomplete cars direct. some were around 61

According to Tom McPherson, who I gather is preparing a story on Oldsmobile professional cars for the Magazine, Oldsmobile was extremely active in the professional car field in the 1930s. They produced a chassis for the coachbuilders and even advertised in the trade magazines. Miller was a big user of Olds chassis in the early 1940s. After the war, if you wanted an Olds-powered ambulance or funeral car, you ordered a car from a dealer and had it delivered to a coachbuilder - National, Weller, Comet, etc. In the late to mid-1950s, Comet and later Cotner/Bevington had an arrangement with a local Olds dealer to supply their cars and ordered them through that source. After C/B was bought by Wayne, the Corporation cut a new deal with Oldsmobile to be able to obtain de-contented cars directly from tyhe factory but, the orders stil had to be placed through a local dealer. Oldsmobile began listing the numbers of "chassis" shipped in 1964 - for the first time since 1942 - and, it is highly likely that the bulk of these "chassis" were shipped to C/B. McPherson has numbers for these "chassis" shipments for 1933 through 1975 but, wouldn't reveal them to me saying they were to be pubished in the Magazine along with his story - sometime in the future. However, I believe that he did answer the question.

C/b ?

This is from my 65 C/B looks like C/B was the selling dealer? Speaking of the
65 finally got the rear bumper back on after re chrome.

I know that Dixie Coach was buying their Oldsmobile's and Pontiac's straight off the local Oldsmobile and Pontiac dealership lot.

Does anyone know what year the Oldsmobile Division started supplying cars directly to C-B/Comet for conversion? I was lead to believe that the earlier Comets were dealer purchased, customer supplied sedans that were then converted by the coachbuilder.

Terry

One of the earliest Comet Coach ads I saw showed a 1958 lwb Comet Coach Olds ambulance. It was in one of the funeral director magazines: Morticans of the Southwest, if I remember correctly.

Back