Urn carriers

I did a search on Urn carriers and came up with nothing....sooooo

can anyone tell me about Urn Carriers ? whats their proper name ? and pictures of different styles

thanks

Mike

Victoriaville caskets build some carriers that goes on the trunk of a sedan... and you have the traditional arch with 4 bearers... what kind do you mean?

Flickr

If you click on the name of the picture, then it will take you to my Flickr album where you can see it full-size.

Cremation Options

I strongly believe that families need to be presented with options with regard to any type of funeral or memorial service. I use the hearse for all memorial services and inurnments and I always invite the participation of urn bearers and (if applicable) a flag bearer and photo bearer. Families appreciate this opportunity for participation, which helps with the grieving process and a sense of closure.

I like the urn enclaves made by Eagle Coach Company (as seen posted by Jerry Jacobson above), but I prefer the portable version to the permanent "pop out of the hearse floor" type. It is important for us to have the ability to transfer the enclave between hearse and funeral van depending on the day's schedule. We've even used the enclave in a rented hearse.

I have used the type of carriage as shown above by Martin Harvey, but I wasn't completely happy with this for two reasons: Sometimes it is awkward removing the urn from the glass container (top load) in front of a family, and I have seen times when the urn comes loose inside of the glass container. Even though I think the design of this unit is creative and dignified, I was never a big fan of the pole handles and glass box. Reminded me of carrying an urn atop an army stretcher. Not criticizing anyone who uses one of these; I just wanted something a bit different.

About two years ago, I got to visiting with a good friend of mine, Dawson Grover, a local craftsman who began building urns in his home shop in Coon Rapids, MN. Dawson's urns, with their excellent dovetail detail work, were very well received by funeral directors around here, so he created a company called Shephart.

I explained to Dawson that I wasn't completely satisfied with the urn carriages I'd seen, even though the designs were "pretty good." We put our heads together and created a product he calls the "Funeral Caddy." (Professionally, I refer to it as a "Funeral Carriage.") This is a specially designed carrier that accomodates all types of urns as well as infant and toddler caskets, which are often an awkward size for one or two pallbearers to carry. We spent a lot of time on the dimensions so it could be used on church trucks and in various funeral vehicles without becoming too cumbersome.

Dawson basically builds these to order, so the customer has options ranging from hardware to wood stain. Each unit is designed to provide a stable and dignified means of conveyance, while also serving as an infant casket bier or memorial table for visitation, funeral / memorial / graveside services. All needed hardware for securing urns and infant caskets, as well as photo and flag, stores securely inside the unit, eliminating the need to carry spare pieces separately. The flush-mounted bier pin plates allow for the use of a table runner or doiley when the unit is not being used for conveyance.

To date, Dawson has sold several of these to funeral homes in the Upper Midwest. I have had the opportunity to use this product for infant funerals and cremation services; I may be a little biased, but I think it works wonderfully. We've had many compliments.

Here's a link to the Funeral Caddy on the Shephart website:

http://shephart.com/Funeral_Caddy.html

Arc

The arc (photo above this posting) is very dignified but it requires a hearse for transportation. Also, you can order a quantity of rose pedals and pass one out to everyone at a service if it is at the funeral home. Then at the end of the service, everyone files by and drops their pedal into the urn compartment. People comment that they like the feel of participating in the service. I've only seen this done
when the service is at the funeral home (and usually done by a funeral director/celebrant.)

Last edited:
Back