1957 Superior Rescuer

Does anyone know what model siren belongs on the roof of said ambulance?

If it is a California car, then it would probably have had a B & M Super Chief on the roof.. If an East Coast car, then a Federal Super Chief, or a Federal C 6 of some variety. If you can give me the drill hole pattern, and distances between the holes, I can narrow it down for you. If you post a picture of the car, then someone might have an old "in service" picture that will give the definitive answer. There is no set rule as to what siren was used, because it depended on the preference of the service that made the original purchase. You can also gain some information on what was used by the type and configuration of the siren wiring and switching.

Yes, this is the '57 that bigfins had available. I don't have access to the bolt pattern or switches yet as it is still in Oregon.

Thought I had a close up of siren mounting holes but do not. Best I can provide. These shots are 4 years old and do not reflect the current status.

57supamb1.jpg

57supamb1d.jpg

James, I'm glad you said this '57 Rescuer and not the one I've been sitting on that is hidden away!!! :halo:

Congrats if you purchased it. Always liked this solid easily restorable unit - even more so after fenders were swapped out.

Really nice pair of fenders on a '57 Superior at Purkey's Auto Salvage in Coffeyville, KS!

Don't need fenders for this one, but I do need a passenger front fender for a '56 series 62 sedan. If anyone knows any history on this rig, I would be very interested in hearing more about it.

Dan had a nice unmodified '57 fender pair that went with the ambulance Kurt. I believe they had already replaced the modified '57 mounted pair since he sent me those pics, which is why James doesn't need them. ;)

Totally forgot this unit had buckets. Make this (and not '61 Eureka recently auctioned in Taos, NM) the earliest ambulance I've seen with them.

I only have a couple pics of a 57 Superior, one from an ad and the other stolen from the web. I am not much of an ambulance guy so I dont know sirens, so here are the pics, not much help but Im sure someone can ID them.
1957 Superior ad.jpg

1957 Superior.jpg

Paul, from what I have been reading in other ambulance threads, the lighting and sirens can change every time the car changes hands?

If it is a California car, then it would probably have had a B & M Super Chief on the roof.. If an East Coast car, then a Federal Super Chief, or a Federal C 6 of some variety. If you can give me the drill hole pattern, and distances between the holes, I can narrow it down for you. If you post a picture of the car, then someone might have an old "in service" picture that will give the definitive answer. There is no set rule as to what siren was used, because it depended on the preference of the service that made the original purchase. You can also gain some information on what was used by the type and configuration of the siren wiring and switching.

Just arrived today

Here is a photo of the hole pattern where the siren was along with a dollar bill for reference. Any thoughts as to the make and model of siren?

Attachments

• 0121131707.jpg
    0121131707.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 120
the hole pattern for the larger federals are all the same. but that one with the washer prints looks to me like a WL print. center big hole was the siren wire the smaller on either a light or brake

Here is a photo of the hole pattern where the siren was along with a dollar bill for reference. Any thoughts as to the make and model of siren?

The four-bolt pattern seen here could've been for a Super Chief, a Propello Ray, or a Q2. However, my money's on a Q2B because of the mounting "shadow" and the small hole for the brake wire.

The most popular roof-mounted sirens on the '57s were Federal C6 sirenlights as seen on the blue car above.

all the Q's I have played with were a flat mount on one end the round spacer on the other. here you see 4 washer type marks. as the hole pattern is the same on the mounts. I would guess one of the smaller ones with the light up front. the wire fr the Q came up to the rear also. if it was a California car it would be the supper chief. we are also guessing which way is front top of bottom on the picture

Attachments

• federal q base.jpg
    federal q base.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 95
According to Keven O'Connell, the owner of B & M Siren, the mounting holes for the B & M are the same as for the Federal Q. The only difference is where the hole is located for the power to the siren. Since both the Q and the B & M use a siren brake, both would have a separate brake hole.

the it a B&M the federal was to the rear. here is the federal Q foot print of the 69 MM

Attachments

• IMG_9171a.jpg
    IMG_9171a.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 75
Might anyone have any more information on this car? The lettering on the doors say Eagle Point Rescue & Ambulance Service

Back