1966 GMC St. Catherines equipment

Bill Leverett

PCS Member/Super Site Supporter/Paramedic Supervis
Of course one of the best things a procar enthusiast can hear is "I've got some stuff from an old ambulance".

Well, at a car show last year that's what a fellow said to me as he looked over my Lifeliner. Not wanting to seem too excited I inquired what kind of ambulance was/is it and what equipment did he have.

Turns out he ended up with the remains of the 1966 St. Catherines GMC that once served Victoria Fire department and later Garden City Ambulance in Victoria BC. This vehicle is pictured on page 12 of Peter Adsten's book EMS Classics - A Cellection of Ambulance Photos.

The vehicle was pretty much rusted completely out. He bought the vehicle to salvage some parts specific to the GMC Suburban of that year.

What he did find and keep were 2 old stairs chairs, the folding seat from the back, the wheel cups for the stretchers, the chromed stretcher hanging hardware from the side and the rail guides used for guiding the stretcher in. I've never seen an ambulance set up with a wheel guide for the main cot but apparently this vehicle had them.

he had no use for the equipment so we agreed on aprice and I finally got around to picking the items up a few weeks ago.

I'll keep the stair chairs but if anyone is interested in the main cot wheel guides or the hanging hardware please let me know.

I've included the pictures for your review.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 147
Sorry Ed..the seat looks more like something from a speed boat. Wall mounted bythe back and the seat (bottom) portion flips down.

Seat bottom

Here is the seat bottom that attaches to the wall. I didn't get the seat back as it went to the crusher peior to the parts being offerred to me.

Let me know if it's something you can use and I'll send it off to you.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 52
the back must have been a cushion just attached to the wall. thanks for the pictures. it would work but lets not ship it. I'll go with my original plan and use the iron I have here from a MM seat to make one up. either way it's make cushions and a prop leg.

Back