Miller-Meteor ambulance for 1970

Martin Harvey

PCS Member
Just wondering, I found a 1970 Miller-Meteor ambulance, as far as I know it's a combination and was equipped previously with 2 Full-Vu beacons at the front, with a red beacon in the middle. The 2 Full-Vu were taked off but she still have the beacon.

Everybody knows how hard it is to get Full-Vu beacons, so what was common on Miller-Meteor low top ambulances lighting for 1969 or 1970? I might think that a Federal siren in the middle and 2 beacons on each side can do the job, what do you think folks?

combinations

Around here the home built combo/ambulances were often a single beacon, roof mounted siren or under the hood.. sometimes a pair of salvaged lights from an older rig on either side such as those superior roof mounted ones with lights front and back. They sometimes were moved from several generations of rigs to another,,,,,-There was a lot of mixing and matching of stuff depending on how frugal the owner was.

vary seldom would a combo have fixed lights on them. it could but the give away is the flip over rollers and small or no med cabinet. it may be a low top ambulance you looking at.

Well it's sure is a combo, dunno why the car was mounted with a beacon and 2 full-Vu on the top! About the siren, it's under the hood but in my memory it's a bit smaller than a Fed Q. Maybe only a beacon is enough!

Sounds like a Model 28 under the hood. That's a pretty common siren for the time. There is a picture of a combo with the light set up described in one of the procar books. I can't recall which one at the moment. When I get home I'll look. Funeral directors and ambulance operators did a lot of things with combos back in the day.

Thank you Jean-Marc!

I already checked the website, that's because the car, if I bought it, should not be restored as a "combination"...

As a young funeral director/embalmer, if I get this car in a car show I will be considered like a Job freak!! My 1978 NYPD car is a good show car but can't imagine comming with a hearse in a parade.. !! Considering that it can be my FIRST pro-car for a good low price.. We used to have a white over baby blue Demers ambulance back in 1972, maybe this color sheme will reduce the funeral style of the car..?

Will check, will also post pics in april when I will get the car out of where it is now!

Martin here is an old photo of a 70 MM Cad Combination our firm used from 1970 till 1973. All four of the ful-vu lights and beacon were demountable. The next photo is the same vehicle after it was traded in prior to being resold. The dealer removed the four ful-vu lights and just left the beacon.

Larri

Attachments

• scan0001 (296x243).jpg
    scan0001 (296x243).jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 398
  • scan0069.jpg
    scan0069.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 403
  • scan0070.jpg
    scan0070.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 404
Nice pictures thank you Larri!

Doesnt look bad with only a beacon, now the car is dark grey with black faded top, the vynil was painted !! awful, I will have to remove it.

About the demountable Full-Vues lights, were they more common than those fixed or a rare case? Will have to gey a pair for a low top this summer...

Im finally the proud owner of the car! Mounted it on the lift tonight and the car was greased so nothing looks bad.

Found in the glove box 2 emblems "Classic" ... dunno where it was glued. Classic for Classic 42" ?

Martin, it seems as though demountable Ful-Vu's were pretty rare, at least in the photos I've seen, though certainly not unheard of.

My guess is that it was a practical matter. Ful-Vu's were used in pairs I would think most folks buying a car would have felt taking off two lights (or 4, in the case of Larri's photo) would have been twice as much work as taking off one beacon. Probably twice as much money, too!

Sarah's combination has demountable Ful-Vu's.

I got a bad surprise when I bought the car, the beacon ray was also missing. As far as I know, it was not a "central" one, it was in front of the drivers compartment, between the two Full-Vus. That means a slanted base.

Any guess if it's hard to find one? ... or any of you ever cut the base of a beacon ray to give the top angle?

done a couple of them. the old lights are still around e-bay usaly has 2 or three the ful-value-s are expensive but the federal 17s are runing around 150 for a good one. the D are the hard one to find but one can make a D out of any of them if your not fussy with the tag. the two guys sell mainly in the club usall have one

Martin, when you get a Beacon Ray and need to trim it, I've got the kit to do it with.

Failing that, if you will send me a "dead-on" photo from either side of the vehicle I've probably got a base here already cut to fit. I would also be willing to make you a pretty fair deal on a 176. PM me for details, Russ

Back