Smog pump seized

Kevin Lynch

PCS Member
I had to cut the belt from the smog pump to the fan- the only way the fan would turn....when I started the motor, the belt was stationary and it started smoking at the fan. I see in some other cars, the smog pump can be replaced with a pulley. I also read that these came on some 472's and 500's and not in others.
Needless to say, the car isn't going anywhere without the fan working.
Anyone have any experiences with this?
Thanks in advance!!!

Or go with a older set up. I think it just a water pump pully change. To get the alternator belts to go around the water pump. Then of course the belts.

Smog Pump

Here is one source =https://cadillachighperformance.com/products/chp-bl49-smog-pump-removal-kit

Or find a 70 472 engine and get all the pulleys from it. 70 does not have a air pump.

Commercial chassis cars have the smog pump, and the passenger cars didn't.

Did some checking in the Cadillac part book, and in group 3.660, air injection reactor pump, it shows 68-69 All. then 71-72 all, 73-74 commercial chassis. This is a 10/76 parts book, so not all the older parts are shown. From what I can see in the different parts listed, it appears that 1970 didn't have a pump, but the commercial chassis cars on both sides of the 1970 pump did.

The smog pump on my 1968 seized up. My shop came up with a stacked pulley arrangement that dealt with the belt clearance issue. Smog pump is gone. I'll get some photos as soon as I can.

Back