1972 Pontiac Bonneville Superior Parts

I posted a question this week inquiring if there was similarity between the quarter panels on my 75 MM compared to a Coupe de Ville....I believe it was Paul who opined that they were not the same, as that MM made the quarter panels, not Caddy. Good luck!
K

It's anybodies guess on this one, but couldn't see spending $1000 for the size of the rust I had.

not much of a guess, superior had the big press. the only guess is did superior stamp all the panels for the other guys to. or did they press there own. pinner had a press they use but no one talks about MM or S&S

Work started on quarter panel swap

Stopped by the shop and saw that the top edge of the quarter panel had rivet rust, where it joins the fiberglass. The shop is fabricating an angle iron to replace the rust, and will make repairs. This explained the buckling and paint separation we had on both side. Only one side requires the repairs.

The hood from Franks Pontiac Parts was near mint...amazing how hard the Louisiana moisture is on our cars in comparison the what I received from Franks.

Attachments

• IMG_2258.jpg
    IMG_2258.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2255.jpg
    IMG_2255.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_2257.jpg
    IMG_2257.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 135
normal problem in superiors. but it always amazes me that one side is so bad and not the other. of course plugged drain holes is the reason. one side open the other closed up. be sure and treat the under side of the new hood. that will keep it nice a lot longer. it now in high humidity and will have spots that will rust threw right away.

normal problem in superiors. but it always amazes me that one side is so bad and not the other. of course plugged drain holes is the reason. one side open the other closed up. be sure and treat the under side of the new hood. that will keep it nice a lot longer. it now in high humidity and will have spots that will rust threw right away.

I wonder in the gas lid had anything to with it? Perhaps they had a bad cut or something, which is why it rusted more than the right?

They were working on the hood, but I didn't get a picture.

that hole dumps right out side. but of course does offer one more seam. but any time you see rust like that coming threw it's from the quarter filling up with water. then as it evaporates it seeks any place to escape. you'll find anything you take off on that side looks just like that seam. layer of rust. we are dealing with the same thing on this 69. except it leaked threw the roof vent and filled the interior . no windows even cracked so it has a layer of rust on everything in the rear. but of course mainly were the water laid. same as the quarter. spraying the rust converter is the only defence and the only way to get a product up into the seams that you can't see. if the water could not drain out the bottom it had to come up threw the inside. that is till it got the hole threw to the oust side so it could escape. nothing that can't be fixed open the drain holes that kid working for superior plugged with under coating and treat the inside of the panels. one other main source of water into the panel is a hole in the inner fender. that forces in water and mud into the void. that has the same effect but usally it's just the lower side that pays the price of that

Probably all leaked in from the cot exhaust fan leak and tunneled to the quarter panels...my best guess.

another possibility is since these are handmade cars there was a little more gap on one side than the other. Water will find strange places to come in even on a hairline crack. Also the way water travels who knows where it actually came form. I have seen water collect in spots that were not even close to the hole letting it in.

Probably all leaked in from the cot exhaust fan leak and tunneled to the quarter panels...my best guess.

the top seam, the gas flapper, seam around the taillights, a hole or two in the inner fender, the seam under that molding between the top and fiberglass. big leakier on superiors. all points that it would leak into the panel from. the right side it would leak out of, the left it did not. water going in a panel is not a problem as long as it can get back out. they were all designed to run water out as just natural condensation would collect in them

Back