Rear Bumper For 1968 Superior Pontiac

Bill Marcy

PCS Member
I was told that my rear bumper is too far gone to re-chrome. Is this true? So, assuming I need a bumper, does anybody have one? Would anybody know if this bumper is from a standard Pontiac, if so, what year and model?

Attachments

• P1070780.jpg
    P1070780.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 565
I am no expert, but, if the pic you included is the bumper in question, it does not seem that bad...from what I can see...are there holes in it that cannot be seen in the pic? It is rusted badly on the other side? Maybe a second opinion would be in order...that said, maybe a replacement, used bumper would be less expensive than rechroming yours; that is, if your bumper can be found on a mass produced passenger vehicle.

Bill; I think if you look at center of the bumper you will find they cut the bumper in half and added a chunk to widen it . The bumper after some Googeling appears to be a 1962 full size Pontiac rear. A good one should not be hard to find out west one of the AZ. yards perhaps. Also I have had very good luck with the Pontiac Club for parts for my 41 got NOS bumpers guards fenders etc.

you will be 50-50 on that. Sioux plating will get you around 300 for a one piece bumper. I'm guessing you looking at 4 pieces with the filler. the last one I got out of calf for the 72 olds ran me around 125 as I recall. then like you it was cut to fit the CB. then we still ended up plating.

Correction its a 1961 had rectangle Back up lights 1962 has round ones. Otherwise appear the same.

Thank you Pete! I was looking at rear bumpers for 1968, not the same, so I looked at 1967, similar, but not the same bumper ends. So, it is a 61 bumper.
If I get a 61 bumper, it will not fit unless it is cut and widened? Or, will it be okay, do you know how much wider it is?

For my $$$ find a NOS or good used one redoing one with rot spots will only give new ones elsewhere down the road. As far as the center filler goes use what you have and simply follow Superiors lead. Cutting the center follow cut in existing bumper scribe replacement and use a Sawzall with a "Torch" blade. OH YEAH HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!

The chrome shop I used for my M-M crosses (Thanks to Steve Lichtman for these ones !!) did all the repair on the metal. They told me they usually sand and fill what is pitted, same on heavy bumpers. Of course the cost of the job goes with but according to what they did on the crosses, which were pitted and one sanded they had holes, they can do everything. So I think you are better to ask to a chrome shop -- not the subcontractor who take the part and send it somewhere -- the real one who do some magic with trash !

we all know Bill has a visual handicap. so getting down to look at the details is out of the question. this put him at the mercy of other people. with sometimes good and sometimes bad results. we can all relate to that.

but just how superior did the splice on this one is up for grabs. with there ambulances they would add that center step. they were all bolted in place. my guess from looking at the picture of the top it 's a aluminium casting. that the split ends slip into and then most likely bolted underneath. one is not going to find this piece in good shape so it will have to be sent in to be plated.

as to how to cut it I have used every method invented, the best is still the cut off blade in a circular saw. that is if you don't have access to a power hack saw

which is better replacing or replating is up to you to find out. but it has been my experience that even getting a hand picked used one your self, one ends up repairing and replating to get it to look the way you want.

if yours is repairable and you have a place close you can take it to? money wise your better off that way. buying one getting it to you, then modifying it only to send it in to get replated will triple your cost. if you can find one locale before you buy. find out what the shop wants to make it fit like superior did vers Remove the one you have to get it set in. then replace it when it comes back. me I have always found it cheaper to fix what you have in your hand

This might be a better picture, maybe not. I thought they could all be repaired, but I was told to get another bumper, so I am confused.

Attachments

• IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 150
? Compatible years

To help Bill out searching for an original, can anyone help on what years would be interchangeable for him. It sure looks like my 65.
I had to get one for my 76XL and while I realize a Cadillac one is easier to locate I eventually found a very nice one on eBay for a good price.

To help Bill out searching for an original, can anyone help on what years would be interchangeable for him. It sure looks like my 65.
I had to get one for my 76XL and while I realize a Cadillac one is easier to locate I eventually found a very nice one on eBay for a good price.

Thanks Tim, for your thoughts. I believe it is a 1961, as Peter Grave stated earlier in this thread. I have located a re-chromed bumper and I would buy it, except that it may not make sense, if after it is cut and the center piece put in, it then needs to be chromed again. What I really need is a bumper that is re-chromable for less money than the perfect re-chromed bumper I have found. But in the end, just how many 1961 Pontiac rear bumpers are actually available?

Bill; If the rechrome is well done not a cheapie used car lot job it will do fine. The cut to widen it will not show when the existing center is added. You would just coat the cut edge with a rust preventive and it will be fine no need for any rechrome.

like Peter said. in your case it's easy as the center section is a overlay. if it is aluminum you can get away with polishing it and have it look nice. use a cut saw or a hack saw to keep the damage down. prime the raw edge and blush a little silver paint over the cut and put it back together the way it came apart. I take it they don't want to fix that rust hole. save the old pieces any medal shop can chop that out, weld a patch back in .if you need it down the road you will have it

I bought a re-chromed bumper from D & R Chrome, it will be the nicest piece on the car, except for the restored Double-Tone on the roof, but we are moving forward a little at a time. Thanks for all of the information guys, I appreciate all of it.

Correction its a 1961 had rectangle Back up lights 1962 has round ones. Otherwise appear the same.

Here is a picture of a 1961 Catalina... close, but not the same. Note where the back up lights are placed on this bumper (mid point between the top and bottom of the bumper, under the tail lamp assembly. On Bills car, the back up lights are located close to the bottom of the bumper.

b-pontiac-catalina-421-920-8.jpg

attachment.php

Back