Short board storage?

Nicholas Studer

PCS Elected Director 2022-2025
Where have you seen short boards stored in your carryall and car-based ambulances? They were mentioned all the way back to the text "Transportation of the Injured" in 1958 and were featured in the oft-cited article "Death in a Ditch" by JD Farrington in 1967.

However, as I have been stocking my 1969 Stoner-Chevrolet "Crash Wagon" and trying to imagine where things were kept - it's hard to find a good spot for either a F-W Model 61 aluminum or the fairly standard wooden ones. The underbench compartment is divided lengthwise for 3 Model 12-E folding stretchers, so it won't fit there. The underfloor compartment in the back is too small. The passenger side has a spare-tire compartment and another one with heater - both too short. Not really much other option than perhaps trying to ram it behind the bucket seats - but they're uniquely tight against the partititon and don't roll forward like the bench seats in the car-based vehicles I have. http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21907

Some Superiors had a spot alongside the cabinet where they would fit next to a folding backboard/etc.

I know some folks nowadays keep them on top of the cot for display. Was this common? I've had trouble finding photos to support that.

Seems to fit underneath the mattress at head of bed on the Model 30 cot, but seems it'd get in the way more often than it might be used.

Goog Question!

I have mine just stuck behind the front seat in my International- have not checked to see if it will fit in the squad bench storage or not...

Also have been wondering where the spare tire was stored the Springfields and similar rigs... mine is supposed to have one, but I haven't investigated very much.

Racks on the door were favored spots for them also. Normally the rear doors. Were they were easy to grab with the gurney.

Back