1972 Checker Aerobus Model A128W 1 of 15

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/checker/aerobus/1892295.html?refer=news

Mileage: 25000
Transmission: Manual
Condition: Excellent

Seller’s Description:
Powered by a 350 Chevrolet V8. Turbo 400 Automatic. Shows 25,000 miles. Brand new air conditioning system, paint, brakes and brake booster. From New Mexico, rust-free. Complete new interior, headliner and carpet. In excellent condition.

For more on this Checker and others, go to: https://www.checkermotorcars.com

Price: $29,950

My thoughts: Cool looking exterior on this car. Looks like it would be fun...I would have to commit the sin of modifying the interior to look less like a school bus. The seller states that it is 1 of 15 made...I find that interesting....Not sure if the engine is original or not; Chevy 350...not sure if that engine can produce the power needed to move that vehicle, effectively, with a load. I will leave it to the experts on this site...Maybe the 350 with the 400 is original; I am not sure. I am confused....the listing shows the transmission as "manual", but the narrative description states that it is an automatic.

Attachments

• 56994012-770-0@2X.jpg
    56994012-770-0@2X.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 447
Not fun to drive Mack tri axel more fun. Yes 350 can be original have a special NYC Taxi that was made as a sting car for the DEA it was made with a Hi performance (4BBL) 350. Also know of some Checker Police cars that were supplied with 350s. Checker was pretty flexible if GM made it they would stuff it in. I heard a rumor not substantiated that a couple of those Aerobuses were made with big block Chevies.

Another look at the pics shows no clutch pedal. So, it has an automatic transmission.
Peter, you stated that it would be more fun to drive a Mack Tri-Axle. I would love to drive one...just for a day, on a closed course with lots of stuff to smash into. :cool: Are you saying that these vehicles (Checker) are unpleasant to drive? If so, can you explain what the issues are? Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

I was under the impression that they were a 283. Glad I was wrong. A small block Chevy is just that. The turning radius on one would have to be a foot ball field. You got to love them all the trim painted not plated.

One of my friends was a big Checker fan member of Checker club knew Ben Merkle etc. His checker is the DEA one I have. Cancer got him two years ago and the car was left to me. Anyway the Aerobus as Ed says you need a football field to turn it around and because it was designed to haul MANY people empty it rides like a buckboard. Remember its a Checker wagon stretched to the nines. So the suspension is beefed up from a wagon it designed to work not be a limo. Just like the taxi it rides hard and handles like a shopping cart. Many of those wagons got 500000 miles doing airport work if you can find someone who drove one they will tell you it was no picnic.

Back