1965 Mercedes 230 Ambulance found in Manitoba

Hello crew. Thought I would share this very interesting video I found on youtube. This video was posted on the 14th June 2017 buy the purchaser of the ambulance. This fellow found a mostly complete 1965 Mercedes 230 high top ambulance in a junkyard in Manitoba Canada. It appears that he has since taken it to Saskatoon. Ambulance is rough but did roll when put on trailer. The guy seems unsure what he wants to do with it and I thought someone must be searching for something like this here. You might be able to contact him through his channel. If anyone has interest I could try to get a phone # for you. I will post the video below. Enjoy
[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0BH7dDMycsE[/ame]

1965 Mercedes 230 Ambulance

He decided that the Mercedes was too far gone and finds a 1973 Superior Pontiac in turn key condition and has a video called "Driving Home A Classic 1973 Pontiac Ambulance! Not A Ghostbuster". Someone may recognized the car. I don't.

I did hundreds of calls in that very Mercedes back between 1970 and 1975. Hated every one of them!

Attachments

• Crestview Mercedes.JPG
    Crestview Mercedes.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 237
He decided that the Mercedes was too far gone and finds a 1973 Superior Pontiac in turn key condition and has a video called "Driving Home A Classic 1973 Pontiac Ambulance! Not A Ghostbuster". Someone may recognized the car. I don't.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXTgXHuZ8sE[/ame]

Was it set up for a domestic (Canadian/US) or European cot?

It was set up for the traditional multi-level cot of that time. I'm unfamiliar with the model numbers. The problem was that the cot floor was much higher than the attendant seat, so you were always looking up at the patient, rather than directly at them. And as we all know, "stuff" flows downhill. It also had a hatchback, with an extremely high loading height.

Since the other real pro-cars in the fleet (not including high-top vans) were a '62 Eureka Cadillac, a '63 C/B Olds Seville, a '65 Superior Pontiac Consort, and eventually a '74 C/B Olds Cotington 54, need I say more?

I was told at the time that this was one of two of these models imported into Canada for a dealer in Toronto, Ontario. Unfortunately, a good salesman convinced my boss to buy one of them.

Thanks for the post Clay.

Terry...I picked up a Crestview Ambulance Service badge at an antique store in Regina a few years. I'll post a picture of it next week.

Port Alberni Fire Department in BC also ran a Mercedes. They acquired it from the private service provider of the day when the FD took over. It then went to the BC gov't when the Provincial Ambulance Service was formed in 1974.

My understanding is it was imported by the private service (Miller Motors - that ran a car lot/wrecker service/ambulance service) but it would make sense that it came from the Eastern Canada. Maybe this is the "other" one that you mentioned?

The vehicle is now owned by Fraser Field in Derouche BC (just outside of Mission)

Back