'70s Old or Pontiac in Phoenix, AZ possibly?

James Shao

PCS Life Member
For those of you in the Phoenix area, do you know anything about a '70s Pontiac or Olds high top with Ghostbusters stuff on top? I drove in to town around 6PM on the 10 and spotted it headed west, west of the 17. Unable to get a real good look due to traffic in front of me.

This car has been around here for the past 2 or 3 years. It was at the annual Buick-Olds-Pontiac show in Scottsdale today that I attended. Pretty decent shape overall, except the headliner and linen compartment door are missing in the rear. Once all the ghostbusters crap is unbolted from it, it probably wouldn't be a difficult restoration. What I found interesting about the car, is the color of the side roof mounted flasher that was only found on Superior-built high headroom ambulances from about '66 until '76. It is blue on this '72 54" Pontiac, and I have never seen one before in any color other than red. The rest of the tunnel lights are also blue, but they are not the stock sealed beams that would have been available back in '72.

I say that must be it, but I only got a very brief glance, I was in the far right lane and they were going the other way.

The Ghostbuster saga has been discussed on here quite a few times. I'd never seen this particular unit.

Taking the time to browse through their site shows a lot of time, money and effort. :beatdeadhorse5:

At least it's not a '59 Caddy or a Hearse trying to masquerade as one.

Hey, you're talking about my team's car. Figured one of these days she'd pop up on the radar eventually. She's a continual work in progress. Since she's not a 59, we took liberties in the roof rack design. We'll get the headliner fixed up one of these days. We cried about taking it out but had to to mount the roof equipment. After being around the original Ecto many times, I must say I love ours way more.

We use her for charity and children's events so yeah, gonna stay the Ecto-AZ for a pretty long time.

3597502_orig.png

image7.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image.jpeg

school4.jpeg

school1.jpeg

Of course one of our members has started working on another one:

image3.jpeg

image-1.jpg

Good for you. Its nice to see that you are doing so much charity work with your car. Dont let anyone here make you feel bad for doing exactly what you want to do with YOUR car. Keep up the good charitable work.

1972 Pontiac

What a waste of a procar, especially an ambulance. :thumbsdown:

Hopefully, she can be rescued soon and have her dignity restored.

Last edited:
I just have never understood the cult following that the movie "Ghost Busters" has created. The damage done to undeserving pro cars all over the world has caused me to think even less of the movie. I just recently discovered in speaking with the German buyer of my '56 Superior Super Rescuer that he is planning on turning it into one of these monstrosities. Had I known that previously, I would not have sold it to him.

now me I would like to see some improvement on the move car. why is it no one does up one of the 90 hearses? be easy enough to cut windows in the fiberglass. they are a lot more reliable car then this 40 year old stuff and cheaper to operate. but are about the same money to buy. me if I was going to do one up to have all this fun in I would want one the AC would work on at least. :rolleyes:

why is it no one does up one of the 90 hearses? :

Don't worry, they are out there. Ive seen images of them floating around. Ive also seen them built out of station wagons, even a Dodge Magnum, Scions, HHR's, Subaru's, Volvos, V.W. Beetles, seems anymore no car is immune from this torture.

True story just happened yesterday. play along now
I am loading a van with yard sale goods.
Friends of a friend came by the house see all the hearses and the 1975 Pontiac 54 first words are "cool you going to make that a Ghostbuster car?" So I get on top of the 54 and ask them to start handing me the yard sale stuff, with a strange look they start handing it up I place a few items on the roof and then ask them how it looks as a Ghostbuster car and they called me crazy.

:14_6_12:

Using all the wrong pro-cars to make an ecto is like turning a Pontiac Fiero into Kitt (the car from Knight Rider). Kitt may be a Pontiac but it's so far off and it is so wrong. Same concept..........

Now that's class. if we could just get the wide whites on the one with the stacked light bars. but hay by 92 would not have even gost hunters have upgraded to LEDs. got to be hight teck can't still be working with 60 equptment can you.

Back