Repair of Miller Meteor read door check

Kurt Halverson

PCS Northland Chapter President
Hello Everyone,
When I first got my 77 Lifeliner 4 years ago, you could open the rear door all the way and it would stay open. It no longer does this, and it is really a pain to try to hold it open while getting something out of the back of the rig. Does anyone here know what needs to be done to repair the door so it will stay open by itself again?
Thank you,
Kurt Halverson

not had one of them apart. but if they are like the older ones there is a spring in the hing pocket. so first remove the covers around the hinges on the door frame at the body and use a flash light to look in there and see of if you have open holes like a CB just look in there. if there is a spring dangling of a leaver it the same. and the end of the spring has broken letting the check hang loose. here are a couple pictures of a 75 CB I had for awhile. the first is looking in to the hing pocket the second is the hinge out. n ow it is possible with this set up to reform the hook and fix the car wit it's own broken parts. but I have found a replacement sprig at ACE hardware you will need to form the ends on it also.

but really can't say on that body if they are the same. we did that 66 of Art's in the parking lot of a motel 8 in Boise, Jemmy's at the meet in Hudson. the bad part is removing the door to get the hinge off.

Attachments

• IMG_3927.JPG
    IMG_3927.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_3981.jpg
    IMG_3981.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_3987.jpg
    IMG_3987.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 109
thumbnails here is the hinge after we got the spring back in place

Attachments

• IMG_3985.jpg
    IMG_3985.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_3987.jpg
    IMG_3987.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 113
try it again. you will need to flatten the hook at the notch to get it to lay flat and the hinge to miss it

Attachments

• IMG_3990.jpg
    IMG_3990.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 113
As Ed mentioned, these rear door springs often broke on the mid-'70's C/B Oldsmobiles. We had a fleet of four '74's back in the day, and I think over time every one of them broke. We ordered a few replacements from our local Wayne distributor, and surprisingly, I still have a pair of these NOS springs. I have no idea if this style of spring carried over to M-M and to your particular model year. Once you get everything apart, see if that is the problem, and if it looks like this:

Attachments

• DSC00909.jpg
    DSC00909.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 96
Back