Inside door handles

I stopped by for a minute to look at a friends hearse. One thing I noticed was the rear side door on the passenger side has an inside door handle. The rear driver side door does not. Is this common?

I stopped by for a minute and looked at it. One thing I noticed was the rear side door on the passenger side has an inside door handle. The rear driver side door does not. Is this common?

Josh, when it comes to interior door handles in hearses, anything goes. My 73 Superior had an inside handle on every door. There are coaches no interior handles in the rear compartment and everything in between as you have found.

more handles

Josh,
My 61 has inside door handles on all five doors. All doors except the end door also have window cranks. On a combo I can understand handles on the side rear doors. Might question the one on the left side as you have to crawl across the floor to get to that door.
I suppose like any other industry some numbers guy decided that they could save a few cents per coach by not putting in door handles.
Mike
:my2cents:

My 1970 Superior Hearse has handles on all the doors. When I'm showing the car to folks, I like to open the loading door and say; "so... uh... who do you figure this handle is for?" The responses I get are priceless. In all seriousness, My guess is that it is done for reasons of production simplicity. Rather than have one style door for a combination, and another for a hearse, it is easier to have one design that serves all functions.

Handles

My old 69 S&S didn't have any rear handles because it was a straight hearse and had no provisions for a rear passengers.:pat:

My old 69 S&S didn't have any rear handles because it was a straight hearse and had no provisions for a rear passengers.:pat:

I thought up until at least 73 all procars had rear inside door handles. My 73 should have inside door handles on all the doors, but the side handles won't still on.
I have seen some newer hearses 90's, that had a button on the rear door in case you got "locked" in the rear.

Back