Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > Funeral Related Items

Funeral Related Items For the discussion of Funeral Related items as used on funeral coaches, etc.

Old 08-19-2018, 11:22 PM
PCS Pacific Northwest Chapter President

Thanked 2,003 Times in 811 Posts
Groans: 16
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Franklin View Post
The Econoline van they used was their own van which was purchased from the local Ford Dealer and the salesman was none other than the decendant. In this particular town, your funeral options are the local family owned home, SCI, or several funeral service providers who operate out of a store front office without a brick & mortar Funeral home per se. What gets me is I know of at one Funeral Home in Seattle 17 miles away that has a Lincoln hearse
I just spoke to a PNW Chapter member who is a local funeral director and he informed me that one of the large Seattle firms that is independently owned has 2 Lincoln coaches so it appears that this Funeral Home didnt try too hard to find a Lincoln.
Paul Steinberg  (08-19-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 07:24 AM
Website Member

Thanked 7,120 Times in 2,342 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 13 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Franklin View Post
To all the funeral directors here, I would like your thoughts. Recently, a friend of mines father passed away. He was a Ford-Lincoln salesman for over 50 years. The family owned funeral home in the town where he lived only has a Cadillac hearse. The son of the deceased told the Funeral director that NO WAY NO HOW was his dad taking his final ride in a Cadillac. The funeral director claims that they were unable to locate in the Seattle-Western Washington area a Lincoln hearse. So my friend says, I have a friend who has one and we can borrow it (meaning MY hearse). The Funeral Direector flat out refused to allow it and the ended up carrying the deceased in an Econoline cargo van. your thoughts , please!
I would allow just need a waiver release. Not only would I allow it I would encourage it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Richard Vyse For This Useful Post:
Jim Staruk (08-21-2018), Paul Steinberg  (08-21-2018), Rick Franklin (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 05:17 PM
PCS Member

Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Steinberg View Post
When a friend of mine passed away suddenly, I told the family that I had access to a vintage hearse. They asked the funeral director, and he had no problem with using it for the final ride. I drove the hearse from the funeral home to the cemetery, and followed him in his lead car. No one ever asked about insurance, or even mentioned it. The hearse was insured by the owner (Jim Staruk), and I am also insured for any vehicle that I borrow or rent.
I wonder where the FD got the Ford cargo van. As was said above, I would have gone to another funeral home.
Yes, my hearse was fully insured for all passengers. I do not remember any disclaimer stating that all passengers must be alive .....
Richard Vyse (08-23-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 09:42 PM
PCS Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Mutual Aid

In all my 50+ years of funeral service I have borrowed vehicles and loaned vehicles to other funeral homes in our area.
The same thing municipalities have mutual aid agreements for the benefit of their communities.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Head For This Useful Post:
Daniel Scully (08-22-2018), Paul Steinberg  (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 10:16 PM
PCS Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

The funeral director was doing a disservice to the family, getting a Lincoln hearse from another FH or letting you drive the deceased would have been a great memory for the family. Sometimes you have to forget about liability and do the right thing (There are general release from liability form available that at least get the message out there that the FH can't be held responsible or liable for anything)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erin Phelps For This Useful Post:
Paul Steinberg  (08-22-2018), Peter Grave (08-22-2018), Rick Franklin (08-22-2018)