paint equipment

im going to paint the inner fenders on one of my cars and was gonna use rattle cans as i have done it before and i was somewhat happy with the results but i now have bought a gravity feed gun and a adjustable regulater and a water seperator etc. spent 245 bucks and am gonna give it a try but do not know what type of paint i should use. this is not my first time ive used a spray gun as i painted my motorcycle trailer with a siphon gun but it is a trailer and and not enclosed and it is ok but not perfect. ive sanded and primed (rattle cans,3 coats) and before i sand the last coat i want to be ready. im guessing about paint as i dont know and 3 diffrent paint stores have given me 3 diffrent answers. im gonna paint both sides and this is a experiment by me to see how i can save money and do it myself plus learn how to use this style system. i wont paint a car but you gotta start somewhere. any advise would be appreciated. also it's gotten cold here 40's to 50's and i dont own a shop heater. is there certain temps i must observe? thanks in advance. ps i talked to the guy who is gonna paint the car and he said just bring them to him but then i dont learn....

we have been experimenting on a blend of 25% flattener and single stage acrylic enamel with catalyst for those type of parts. but you don't want to play around it gets expensive. at those temps I would use the Eastwood under hood black. which is lacquer. use a low tep thinner and light coats. if you have one of the 500 watt shop lights get it on the panel for awhile to warm it up. the rule of paint products is 70 and 70. they are designed to work best at 70 degrees and 70% humidity. no reason you can't do a whole car. just start with the inner fenders. you just need to develop the attitude that it needed painting before you started. the worse that can happen after your done is it needs painted.

i usually have dupont semi gloss acylic enamel mixed up from my paint suppliers. It has a 30% gloss looks good and it is ready to spray when you get it. but make sure you run it thru a paint strainer if you go that route. It seems like their flattening agent is kind of grainy always. lots of stuff gets trapped in the strainer. Good luck great piece to try it out on. You got to learn and start some where.

Back