Ambulance cot collection!

I worked for several services in the F&W #30 years. The policy of the service I worked for the longest was that we had to leave the cot in the down position whenever a patient was on board. When we got to the ER or bed in hospital, etc. we lifted the cot up to slide the patient over. Reason for this was a coupe of situations where a top heavy cot with patient tipped over. Saw it once myself, hard to forget!

I worked for several services in the F&W #30 years. The policy of the service I worked for the longest was that we had to leave the cot in the down position whenever a patient was on board. When we got to the ER or bed in hospital, etc. we lifted the cot up to slide the patient over. Reason for this was a coupe of situations where a top heavy cot with patient tipped over. Saw it once myself, hard to forget!

Wow, I never thought of that before! But that does make sense though, especially if you've seen them tip before if they got too top heavy in the all the way up position. Probably not easy on your back though if you were required to leave it in the lowest position and had quite a distance to travel from the Emergency bay to the E.R. treatment room!

The only cot mishap I was involved in was a one-man cot on the volunteer EMT-Basic ambulance service I was on in the early 90's. A guy got stung by a bee in the middle of nowhere and was already in anaphalactic shock by the time we got there and was unconscious. There was already a Sheriff deputy on scene, he was a young guy apparently a newbie and boy was he freaking out (the patient's wife was more calm than this deputy was lol). He was radioing us every minute or so asking our ETA, and flat out telling us "this guy is in bad shape" on fireband. Anyway we get there, see the guy unconscious and barely breathing with a thready pulse and dropping B.P., we slapped a non rebreather on him at full O2 since that was all we could do as an EMT-Basic level service, and get ready to load and go...we already had CGH Emergency Services (back then they were still called Twin City Ambulance) en route to meet us so their Paramedics could jump onboard and start ALS.

Anyway we're getting ready to load this guy into the rig, the deputy all but peeing his pants, I was at the head and the deputy was at the foot end (my partner, a 5'2" lady who maybe weighed 100 pounds soaking wet was ahead of me to guide us down the stairs and carry the crash kit and O2).

We line the cot up to the back of the rig and I'm getting ready to move around to take the deputy's place to push it in, but before I do the panic stricken deputy pulls the lever before we even get the cot wheels on the floor of the rig, which of course causes the cot to come crashing down, with our unconscious patient on it of course. I, still at the head end, grab hold before it can hit the driveway, and let it down gently. But I was sore for a week afterwards!

Our patient was a big guy, probably over 200 pounds, and that was the worst mishap I've ever been involved in with a cot. The volunteer service I was on had various mishaps with it though, several times it would buckle and crash down if they didn't pull it up all the way, to the extent that we would never let go of it until both of us heard it click because it had a tendency to not "click" or snap into position. Plus, it only had two positions: all the way down, or all the way up...take your choice.

Never did like those one man cots, give me a FW #30 any day!

man don't take care of his equipment is bound to have trouble. use a 29 for years and never had a misshape with it. loved the multi level features. but the smoothies and easies cot to ever load was the 26. I never told Grandmother it was a removal cot. it's just that the fixed wheel on the head end made it not as easy to maneuver in a tight space. same as the 27 and 28. the 28 is not user friendly to latch up with all the fixed wheels but then I'm not doing it as it was intended. so I can't fault the cot for me trying to do something it was not built for. the most I ever had for weight on the 29 was 550 lb. I was scared to death it would fold over on us. trust me we moved vary slow and made wide corners. but we had no choice it was me and a 5 ft 100 lb gal on that run.

but I understand what your saying about the Sheriff the worse thing you can have helping is someone that doesn't know the equipment. we got into that kind of thing we never let them have the end with the trip.

was going to add this one to the e-bay items you may have missed but it goes here best. it pays to ask the lady I got this one from had it labeled a Ferno - Washington and locale pickup only. offered to pay her for her mileage if she would ship it gray hound. I made this same offer to 2 other people who refused to do it. so I now have this Washington model 54?? and she has a empty space in her garage both of us are happy

Attachments

• IMG_2386.jpg
    IMG_2386.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_2387.jpg
    IMG_2387.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_2388.JPG
    IMG_2388.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_2389.jpg
    IMG_2389.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_2390.jpg
    IMG_2390.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 282
every cot Ive ever shipped

I have used Grayhound or Trailways or what ever bus line is available and have found them to he the most reasonable priced.

you can't bet the just under 100 buck ticket for the large idem. here is what I need the low cot for. the washington kevlar 21 single level is just to high to fit under the hanger in the 53. this 54L fits with room to spare.

Attachments

• IMG_2400 the problem is the lower pt is up tight to the hainging streacher.jpg
    IMG_2400 the problem is the lower pt is up tight to the hainging streacher.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_2401 got a low streacher ad now we have room.JPG
    IMG_2401 got a low streacher ad now we have room.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_2402 nurse good body can keep her nose out if the hainging streacjer.jpg
    IMG_2402 nurse good body can keep her nose out if the hainging streacjer.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 229
is the 70 a low over head. that was the one mainly used on station wagon conversions. the bottom drops down when you raise the head for more clearance

Model 30 Ferno (pre-merger with Washington) - from what I've read, I'd say approx. '59 to '60 (please correct me if wrong.)

Attachments

• ferno30earlysmall.jpg
    ferno30earlysmall.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 306
  • ferno30earlytagsmall.jpg
    ferno30earlytagsmall.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 305
1969 Ferno Washington Model 30 C - Contour option (unfortunately in rough condition)

Attachments

• ferno30-69small.jpg
    ferno30-69small.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 303
  • ferno30-69tagsmall.jpg
    ferno30-69tagsmall.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 304
On the above model 30s, the earlier model had the release handles on the left (if facing the head end), while the newer model had the handles on the right. Could it be ordered either way? or was this a production change, made for a reason?

Correct Stretcher for an Early 1920's Model T Ambulance

Hi Gang,
I am building a model of my original squad's early 1920's Model T Ford ambulance. Unfortunately, the only image that I have of it is a line drawing from the 75th Anniversary t-shirt. Repeated requests for a photo(s) of the rig have gone unanswered. So, while I am okay taking a little artistic license, I would like to be as correct as possible. So, what would have been found in a volunteer ambulance squad's rig just outside of Philadelphia in the early 1920's? Any suggestion, photos, or advice would be greatly appreciated.
2012-12-03_14-53-55_999-1.jpg

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Sincerely,

David

I was moving stuff around today and just happened to have a set of ferno and Washington single leave gunnies side by side. the Washington kevler #21 and the Washington/Ferno #21 the Washington has the blue foot rest

Attachments

• IMG_0586.jpg
    IMG_0586.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0587.jpg
    IMG_0587.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0588.jpg
    IMG_0588.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0589.jpg
    IMG_0589.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 242
Here's my latest acquisition. A Collapsi-Cot manufactured by Emergency Aids Company, Chicago 13, Illinois. Going by the "Chicago 13" address I'm guessing early 1960's era. Good heavy unit most likely this one is from a plant of some type but could be used in an ambulance. It collapses in and out by folding of the upper head end of cot. It has four caster wheels on bottom with fabric pull straps at foot and head ends. Typically you would refer to this type unit as a stretcher not a cot though.

Attachments

• image-2481915604.jpg
    image-2481915604.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 188
  • image-1530405317.jpg
    image-1530405317.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 188
  • image-1506935046.jpg
    image-1506935046.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 187
  • image-1061755219.jpg
    image-1061755219.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 187
  • image-3971608716.jpg
    image-3971608716.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 187
  • image-2726469959.jpg
    image-2726469959.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 185
On the above model 30s, the earlier model had the release handles on the left (if facing the head end), while the newer model had the handles on the right. Could it be ordered either way? or was this a production change, made for a reason?

I was wondering the same thing? My release handle is on the left (while facing the head).

Back