limo value

John Royark JR

PCS Member
I have always wanted a Series 75, and have came close many times but have always ended buying a hearse instead, after all they are more my style. Anyway, Ive been thinking alot about it again and I found out about this one. As I am more of a hearse person, I really dont know what a fair price for this is. Yeah I know its all what you are willing to pay, so what would you think is fair in this condition?
It is a 1975 Series 75, non partition, 72,000 miles. I have not seen it in person yet, but have been in contact with the owner the last week and he sent me many many pictures and answered every question I had (it seems) honestly.
It is very straight, no rust, except under the top. Paint is very shiny, with some light checking up close. Rear fillers are shot (which replacements are available), It has been in storage for about 10 years, but he does get it out occasionally and get things moving. He actually told me he did this yesterday and took it on the interstate, and sent me more pictures. The bubbles on the trunk lid and fenders is just water beads from washing.
Black interior looks mint or very close. A/C dont work, possibly just needa a charge.
CB radio, with what looks like a phone instead of mike.
Here are a couple pics of the many he sent, I had to resize them so I hope they work.
Transportation is not an issue, its within a couple hours away. Im looking for an honest opinion as to value because Im sure I will sell it in the future after its out of my system and stay with the hearses.

1975 Series 75 1 - Copy (2).jpg

1975 Series 75 3 - Copy.jpg

1975 Series 75 4 - Copy.jpg

According to the "Collector Car Price Guide", I would call that a condition 3 car, being worth about $6,900.00 ball park figure. If there are other condition issues good or bad, you could adjust that price accordingly. I would say between $6,000.00 and $7,500.00 is what it is worth.

That price guide is the bible of collector car values, using many sources to come up with their figures.

your looking at threw with that much of a bubble. and it's creeping out from underneath. nothing that can't be fixed but something to think about when making the deal. if you get to the looking at the car stage then sit in the back and push out the rear glass on the lower corner does it move. it will if the rust is under it. again just a indication how much you will need to fix. now me I figure that if it is licensed and you can start it up and drive it home it's worth a grand and I go up on condition from there. Mike has the book value and you need to adjust it for Iowa if it was a hearse and the damage was on it what would it be worth? but just looking at the pictures I would say your looking at 3 to 4 Gs to make the repair. so in top condition whats a 75 caddy worth in Iowa?

Looks nice but I would make the two hour trip to look at it YOURSELF before
actually buying it. Sounds like you can just drive it home.

I would get some quotes on repairing the vinyl top before buying it too.
That may run more than you think. Or just live with it but hopefully it stays inside a garage not just outside. Outside it will get really bad really fast.

I would go for it but remember newer limos are only fetching 3-4 g's these days.

Hopefully the Cadillac club members or people with limos post there knowledge on them here for you too.

Good luck and hope you get one at some point if this isn't the one in the end.

I would love a 60-62 myself sometime,
Darren

John, I have owned a number of limos over the years. There are a few things to consider. First of all, a non-divider limo generally sells for less than a divider limo. The rust under the roof might cost more to repair, especially if the metal is rusted through and it probably is. The cracking on the paint looks pretty bad too, another big expense. Although the car has a good look and appears to be well maintained, I would probably try to find a nicer one, or try to buy this one for between $2 and $3K. I think you will easily spend $3 to $5K redoing this one, unless you have someone who works cheap, or you can do it yourself. The limo done and looking sharp is probable worth $7500 in the current market, but may be a tough sell.

I like limos and they can be nice to own. But, I think you can buy a nice "ready" limo for $5K, if you take your time. Good luck with your decision, it is not an easy one.

Looks nice but I would make the two hour trip to look at it YOURSELF before
actually buying it. Sounds like you can just drive it home.

I would get some quotes on repairing the vinyl top before buying it too.
That may run more than you think. Or just live with it but hopefully it stays inside a garage not just outside. Outside it will get really bad really fast.

I would go for it but remember newer limos are only fetching 3-4 g's these days.

Hopefully the Cadillac club members or people with limos post there knowledge on them here for you too.

Good luck and hope you get one at some point if this isn't the one in the end.

I would love a 60-62 myself sometime,
Darren

Darren,
I do plan on looking at it very close before I buy it, Im just trying to get a as it sits value to compair asking price to even see if its worth the trip to check it out.
It is stored inside, and has been for at least since the 90s. As for the top, I most likely will not even fix it, if I did, I would have a buddy fix the rust (Im sure it is a hole) and just have a top Line-Xed on. I already looked up the price for the fillers so Im taking that all in consideration. I already know limos are pretty boring (like driving a "normal" car), and once I get owning one out of my system I will probably sell it in a year or so.

Thanks for everyones help so far.
ED thanks for the window tip, i would have never thought of that.

John,
If your intent is to do a spray-on bed liner on the roof of a series 75, you would be wasting your money. The next owner is just going to look at that as something he is going to have to un-do. If you can't do it right, don't do it. It would be worth less with the bed liner roof than it is now.

Hard to say from just a couple pics but you can get limo's pritty cheap. You can get a clean one from the 70's for 1500 to 2500.. I would not go more then that.

nice cars

Everybody is good at the price,and the value,i have done and owned many of these,the simplest way of doing this,is as everyone said,the value of this car is about $2500,it needs a new vinal,but you can peel it back as far as can and then fix up around a foot or so,this will last a couple of years,the correct way will cost $2000-$3000,so if you add it up,what you should pay, plus repairs,you have a value of around $5500-6500,that is if everything else works,P.S. the biggest line of B.S. i have ever heard is that the ac only needs a charge,if that is the case,then let the person spend the couple of dollars to put a charge on it,because if the person selling this car will not spend any money on the car i would not spend a dime on the car,as anybody will tell you that is the best way to tell the overall condition of the car,if somebody kept up with the ac odds are they really cared about the car,if the ac is bad on that car you can spend $3000 dollars on that alone,GOOD LUCK and if you need any more info call me anytime,i cant do email,as i am always on the road and only get to computer once in a while,HAPPY TO HELP ANYTIME 7am-11pm est BRIAN 917-499-9994:):):)

I have a 76 from Montana that I purchased a number of years ago for $1700.00 the dealer was asking $4000.00 then $3000.00 than $2000.00. It has 56,000 miles and is rustfree except for some bubbles under the top. I wouldn't sell it for $1700 but I dont think these cars bring strong money unless they are mint. There are limo's out there on CW Coach's website and others.

No matter the $ that roof will be a problem. It is not OEM. It was added later. The material is called Elk Grain, the moldings look to be what is called PLM [plactic landau molding]. The OEM top would have been called Long/Short with a center seam and the trim moldings would be metal with a simulated stitch in the center. The rear and quarter windows would not be chrome. all along the molding will be rust from the drill holes that mount the under molding to the body. Check out the one on Ebay to see what I am talking about. This could be very costly to correct. just my 2 cents

I have seen some come through my area and $2000-$900 with under 100,000 miles. The rust repair may be cost prohibitive. I wouldn't purposly low ball but I would try to get it at very economical price. The roof can be repaired with fiberglass and coated with a "rhino lining" then a new top applied over it. Just stress to the body shop, not to trim the top against the car. Often they will run a razor around the edges against the chassis and it is like cutting yourself, it will be the first place it starts to rust. The last top I did on my 65 M-M Limo 3-way was $1500.00 and it took me about 4 hours to get it positioned and smooth, the hot sun helps the best to relax the material. Good luck on your possible future purchase

Having worked at a Caddy dealer Body Shop when those cars were new can say: They were rusting when NEW :(

Being the new kid in the shop I got stuck with the repairs on them and the painter and I were always busy :D The "peel back" method sometimes worked but yours is far from it.

I'm sorry to discourage you but I know you can do better. :cool:

Kenn, as i said before I would not put a top on it, and I mentioned Line X which is the same as Rhino liner. Ive had vinyl replaced before, and the place I go does a great job.

I would most likely not own it long enough to even worry about it, I like my hearses too much, Ive owned/drove one almost daily for 23 years, I just need to get limo ownership out of my system.
I do understand all the additional costs to make it nice, thats why Im asking opinions on AS IS price..

Thanks for all the replies so far, it looks like most are saying around $2,500-$3,000 is what they would pay as it sits now.

I have a 76 from Montana that I purchased a number of years ago for $1700.00 the dealer was asking $4000.00 then $3000.00 than $2000.00. It has 56,000 miles and is rustfree except for some bubbles under the top. I wouldn't sell it for $1700 but I dont think these cars bring strong money unless they are mint. There are limo's out there on CW Coach's website and others.

You are correct, Ive seen lots lf limos on other sites, but most are 6 doors, I know about where they run, but I figured Series 75 were in their own range.
Thanks for your price experience.

the biggest line of B.S. i have ever heard is that the ac only needs a charge,if that is the case,then let the person spend the couple of dollars to put a charge on it,because if the person selling this car will not spend any money on the car i would not spend a dime on the car,as anybody will tell you that is the best way to tell the overall condition of the car,if somebody kept up with the ac odds are they really cared about the car,if the ac is bad on that car you can spend $3000 dollars on that alone,GOOD LUCK and if you need any more info call me anytime,i cant do email,as i am always on the road and only get to computer once in a while,HAPPY TO HELP ANYTIME 7am-11pm est BRIAN 917-499-9994:):):)

Thanks, On the A/C comment, I was the one that said it may just need a charge from sitting, the seller did not. That dont mean the car has been neglected or not maintained, I know some people that never use the air, and they dont even know if it works or not, and if not whay spend the money to fix it if you dont use it? I also am sure he dont want to spend the money on fixing it, it was his dads car, and it has been in storage for 10 years so it will need gone through but seeing how it looks Im sure it was well taken care of before it went into storage. All he does now is take it out a few times a year, gets things moving, and puts it away again.

I do know how the additional costs can add up, thats why Im just trying to find value as it sits. just like any car you dont even know if it will make it home without blowing up..LOL
Thanks for what your price value, Im getting a really good idea what it is worth before repairs.

Back