Tubes in tires with wire wheels

Kevin Lynch

PCS Member
My 79 Seville has wire wheels. I've owned it for six months. The left front went flat last fall and I found the car has tubes. After the left front was replaced, the right went flat a month later. Last week the left front went flat again. I went to pick it up today and it went flat again over the weekend. The mechanic said there is a label on the tube that may be rubbing on the tire. I'm just wondering with the wire wheels if this is an old problem. Any ideas?

I have it registered for the AACA meet in Charlotte in a coupler of weeks.

Thanks!
Kevin

I have tubes in my Corvair Kelsey Hayes wire wheels, and don't have any problems. I put baby powder on the tube and in the tire before mounting, so there is plenty of lubrication for the tube to move while inflating. Problem is that today, you can't purchase a tube that is domestically manufactured, and the tubes coming from foreign countries many times are junk rubber. If the spoke nipples are coated on the inside of the rim, check with your hand for any rough spots. You can use duct tape to cover them over, or even better 4" 10 mil plumbing wrap. Use plenty of baby powder to keep the tube happy, and always watch your inflation pressure. Tubes don't like being run on the soft side!

Attachments

• 699745-MVC-698F.JPG
    699745-MVC-698F.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 451
  • 699743-MVC-697F.JPG
    699743-MVC-697F.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 451
More like no one has the equipment to repair a tube any more. The label will not cause a rub. My guess would be something in the tire you ran over is coming threw as you drive. If you have radical tires the tubs must be radial also. If it goes flat again mark the tire at the valve stem. This will give you a reference as to were to look for the nail.if you don't finding it after you have demounted the tire is impossable.

I have wire wheels on My 56 Packard Caribbean Convertible with bias tires. Tubes that are there are 20 years old and have never gone flat. When the tires were installed I followed the guide lines Paul outlined. Now if you have radial tires on the Cadillac you must use radial tubes or you are in trouble. I had a Lincoln Mark IV with wire wheels and my tire guy insisted radial tubes be used.

AHH YES more fine products from China. I guess Michelin offers nothing and if they do its from China. I will check with my tire supplier. One friend did one with the Packard/Motor Wheels he got an epoxy compound cleaned his wheels in the spoke area and coated with epoxy it worked they don't leak. Don't know what he used and he passed two years ago.

Back