Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > Period Correct Discussion Forum

Period Correct Discussion Forum For the discussion of Period Correct items that are associated with Professional Cars. Posting in this forum is limited to PCS Members and / or Site Supporters. We encourage all website users to become members of the Professional Car Society and / or become Site Supporter.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:12 PM
PCS Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Scott Aviation Inhalator

Thought this might be of interest to the group as well. Available by 1950 at least, the Scott Aviation Demand Inhalator was sold into the 1960s.

You can see it pictured as an available option in the 1967/1968 S&S Brochure posted at http://www.professionalcarsociety.or...8&postcount=13 .

Here's a news story from the Wilmington News on July 1, 1950. http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/60913024/

Quote:
Lukens-Reynolds Has New Inhalator Walter I Reynolds;, owner of Luken's-Reynolds Funeral Home, announced Saturday that the funeral home has purchased a new Scott “Demand Inhalator” to be used as part of their ambulance service. Designed by the Scott Aviation Corp. in Lancaster, N, Y., the new inhalator is the latest thing in this type of device. One of the main features of the new inhalator is that excess positive pressure is impossible as the flow of oxygen is controlled automatically as demanded by the patient. Reynolds said it is available whenever and wherever needed. This supplementary oxygen will be particularly useful in cases of drowning and suffocation or where persons are suffering from asthma or a heart condition
The Norris Funeral Home in Marcellus, NY ran advertisements in the local paper that its ambulances had this device (NEW!) for about 3 years from 1956-1958 at least. http://fultonhistory.com/Newspaper4/...20-%200077.pdf

The March 17, 1953 edition of the Progress-Index in Petersburg, VA http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/47731182

Quote:
Inhalator Put On Ambulances Modern Equipment Provided By Gould For Public's Benefit (Hopewell Bureau) A Scott Demand Inhalator has been added to the Gould Funeral Home ambulance service, Ray Gould said today. Gould pointed out the addition of oxygen to the ambulance is the result of "three years of observation of the needs of the area which I am serving." It has been our continuous goal to offer to the medical profession end .the public the best of service and equipment available. The Scott Demand Inhalator is well known among the,members of the medical profession as it has proven its ability continuously in tests made by the Medical Division of. Scott Aviation Corp., of Lancaster, N. Y;, as well as in actual patient experience. "This unit has been installed at the head of our two ambulance cots and is always available whether it be in the patient's home or while "transporting a patient to the hospital. A qualified person will respond to all calls with this unit." According to the announcement, the unit is "on demand" type and thus will operate in harmony with the individual patient's respiratory cycle.
And, with the Fire Dept. of Maryville, TN on October 27, 1955 - "The city approved the purchase of the fire departments fist Type B Scott Demand Inhalator, complete with case and extra set of tanks. The total price was $ 188.00." http://www.maryvillegov.com/fire-history.html

I think the neatest thing about this device is the close resemblance in design, function, and appearance to aircrew oxygen systems, which it is most certainly a close offshoot of. Then and now, portable bottles/mask setups like this unit are carried on smaller aircraft in particular.

I picked up one recently. It has a lot of white paint spray (little drops everywhere) on it's black vinyl case. My MSA Portalator had some on it too. Both came from industrial settings from what I can tell. While the Portalator cleaned up well - this one didn't. It's far worse on the top. I don't know what to do on the Scott's Vinyl(?)-wrapped wood construction that wouldn't wreck it. Photos below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scott2.jpg (97.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Scott1.jpg (95.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Scott3.jpg (94.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Scott6.jpg (94.1 KB, 85 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nicholas Studer For This Useful Post:
John ED Renstrom (10-01-2014), Kurt Arends (05-07-2017)
Old 09-30-2014, 09:36 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 2,849 Times in 1,600 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default back in the day!!!

Just like myself and other elder medics,that's a relic.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:09 AM
PCS Ohio Chapter President

Thanked 2,282 Times in 772 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

I remember so well, including the backache from carrying the thing around.
1975 Cadillac Superior 54" Ambulance
1973 Chevrolet Superior 61" Ambulance
1970 Chevrolet Stoner Suburban Ambulance
1970 Ford MCC (Pinner) Vanbulance
1966 Pontiac Superior Combination