Need a floor? It's still out there...

Thought this was funny. These pictures are from a bike forum I go to. Guy posted some pics of some bikes he went to look at at a guys house. Check out that floor...

floor1.jpg

floor2.jpg

floor3.jpg

salvage it?

Only hope would be it was just laid down amd held flat by the mouldings and not glued down,,,, and if the owner would sell it...

another question

Okay, nobody is going to say it. Not being PC, I will step up and ask. What about those shoes?
Todd, you said bikes. I take it these are not motorized. What did you find?
Mike

It's not me, just some pictures I came across, but if you're interested in the shoes they are most likely Vans slip-on skate shoes, made by the Van Doren Rubber Company in CA. To the best of my knowledge they do not make a version of the checkerboard pattern anymore, but they sell the same basic version of the shoe in different colors at places like Kohl's. When I was in junior high I went to the shoe store and ordered myself a custom pair (you could select custom colors and patterns for various parts of the shoe, then the company would make them up and send them to you). I believe they coast around $35 or so to have then custom made in the late 70's. I wore them a couple of times, then put them away. When Ebay first started those shoes were one of the first things I sold on there. I think I got a couple hundred dollars for the pair. Mine were the same checkerboard pattern, but some of the squares were red instead of black, they had a hawaiian print on the sides, and more small checkerboard going around the soles.

Google "Vans off the wall" and you might find some. I think they have brought the checkerboard pattern back a few times because people are nostalgic for it. They are also the same shoes Jeff Spicoli (Sean Penn) wore in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High".

I guess the checkerboard Vans shoes are once again available. To be honest, I hadn't looked for them in a while. Wonder if you can still get them custom made?

On the flooring, which one is it that people with ambulances are looking for, the one pictured in the guys house, or this one:

floor4.jpg

Or were both used? I can never remember. I know at least one version was made again later, but with bigger bricks. Might have a line on some unused rolls...

Well, this thread is swerving between "on and off topic", but since my interest in Vans shoes has been rekindled I thought I'd throw this out there:

vansz28e.jpg

Turns out you CAN still have your Vans custom made, for a somewhat reasonable price (considering they are custom making them for you). I may just have to add this '69 Z28 Pace Car-inspired design to my list for Santa.

If you want to come up with your own design, go to http://www.vans.com/customs and express yourself. Unfortunately, no hawaiian print for me or checkered soles, but still some cool choices...

Last edited:
Back