roof help

hello i need some help i have several rust holes in the roof of my 75 hearse i want to get them fixed before we start getting snow any ideas?

If the rust holes are under the vinyl covering, then the only way to fix them is to get under the vinyl and use a patch made of Gorilla duck tape. This will provide you with a temporary repair until the holes can be properly repaired. If you can get to the underside of the holes, then clean the metal well and install a Gorilla duck tape patch to the underside. Neither of these are a permanent repair, but it will help to keep the water out and the inside dry. The most important part of using duck tape is to have a clean dry warm surface when you start. It will not hold well if the metal is damp or cold.

If you can get to them easily, clean off the rust with a wire brush. Brush to white metal, primer and use a fiberglass patch. This will hold for a very long time if maintained and can be easily removed and new metal welded in place. Just my two cents.

If you are going to dig into it deeper, the correct way of fixing it is to cut out the rusted metal and make a patch and weld in the new metal. Like the guys said the other repairs are a temp patch job' to buy you some time on it ,to keep you from getting wet feet.

use a FEMA roof. get a brown one not the blue so it looks right. then cut it to fit the roof. use the gorilla tape to seal the edges tight and your set till spring. to be double safe do like Paul said first. lots of ways to patch the roof depending on how your going to finish it. if your going back to the vinyl roof then weld the patch panels over the rust holes is a option. finishing them will not be necessary but you will need to do a thin pad to hide them. but for now tape a brown Polly tarp to the whole top right to the edge of the vinyl. don't put the tape on anything your not going to refinish or replace as after the winter the glue is vary hard to remove. it will then shed water but still let you move the car around. sitting is harder on them then anything

Last time I had one done on a hearse it was $1,500. (2005) It was a shot that specalized in hearse and ambulance repair. It was nice having someone that actually knew what they were doing on these cars so the landau bars did not end on the wrong sides!

Last time I had one done on a hearse it was $1,500. (2005) It was a shot that specalized in hearse and ambulance repair. It was nice having someone that actually knew what they were doing on these cars so the landau bars did not end on the wrong sides!

Ouch John that hurts! :yum:

(Jonathon, if you ever entrust a shop to redo the top MAKE SURE they know how the landau bars go back on. The former owner of my hearse had a shop in Florida install a new padded vynl top. The $800 price was right, the top looks nice... but they put the landau bars on the wrong sides!)

dwayne were you able to fix your landau bars? and i havent found any place to do it yet there all too much im thinking i might just go with having the top sprayed with rino liner

the last one done up here on a 110 in streach limo with sun roof was 1000. don't do the rino lining. if your going to do a bed liner do the line X one. they can do any color and if the man is good can vary the texture. but you will need to do a good patch over the rust holes to keep from see them if you do the bed liner.

(Jonathon, if you ever entrust a shop to redo the top MAKE SURE they know how the landau bars go back on. The former owner of my hearse had a shop in Florida install a new padded vynl top. The $800 price was right, the top looks nice... but they put the landau bars on the wrong sides!)
I thought that was thrown into your court dwayne.:yankchain:

If the landau bars are fairly easy to remove, remove them before you have the top redone. My landau bars are very easy to remove.
I redid the top of my hearse with Line-X and love it. The roof was crinkle and not vinyl. Most people don't know it bedliner, unless I tell them. My top cost $600, but I don't have to worry about it. If you decide to do the bedliner, go down and talk to the shop and ask what you need to have done before they spray. I called Line-X while my hearse was about to get painted and the man said, to have it sprayed before paint or I would need to wait 6 months. The reason he said was to make sure the paint is completely dry. The Line-X goes on at a couple hundred degrees, but it dries in seconds. I was lucky and the man painting had not started yet, but the body work was done.

Actually I didn't even think of your car when I made the post, I have seen a lot of coaches done wrong, but your car does make a good example.

Back