Federal 184

James Fischer

PCS Member
I have several 184 beacons...they all work as far as lighting and rotation.

My question is: how can the speed of the rotation be adjusted or can it be adjusted ??

I have 4 184's and they all roate at slightly different speeds with one going extremly fast.....:rolleyes:

Any help much appreciated.....:)

I would...

1. Check all electrical connections, esp the ground wires or fame mounts if it draws ground from the bolts.
2. Check the internal gears for crud, etc.

Assuming they are all the same model and year, you'd think they would spin about the same speed.

Good luck!

I know from buying them brand new decades ago, Federal made the 184's in two different rotation speeds. I assume it's from different gearing or size?

184's

Thank you Terry and Mike for your thoughts and ideas on this issue,

I was given this bit of information from a friend who is/was a dealer/ installer under contract to CHP many years ago....

"Factory specified flash rate for the 184/CJ184/CJ284 was 105 flashes per minute, same as the 176 Beacon Ray. The CJ speaker lights used a belt to drive the rotator assembly, placing a rubber grommet over the motor shaft will increase the flash rate of the CJ lights. The 184 uses a gear drive, no way to change the flash rate on the 184 beacon other than a fresh motor and clean and properly lubricated gears and rotating assembly."

In knew of a fire engine in the 1980s that had a pair of 176 beacons, one flashed at the "normal" speed and one that flashed about twice that speed. I figured that someone had placed a 6V motor in it.... :confused2:

vary possible. the 72 CB I had used a 6 volt 17 and a adjustable rheostat. there was no evidence that the light was not the original on off the car. the motors are the same bolt in the same and are wired the same.

184 speed

I was just discussing this the other day with a fellow retiree. We were recalling how he took the dome off the 184 and put something around the shaft that came up from the motor- like a slice of a garden hose- which caused the circumference to be a lot bigger with the same amount of RPMs. It provided a longer track to get around in the same amount of time. They were obviously twice as fast. Then we started getting in trouble for monkeying with our patrol cars.
Good luck!
Kev

Thank you Terry and Mike for your thoughts and ideas on this issue,

I was given this bit of information from a friend who is/was a dealer/ installer under contract to CHP many years ago....

"Factory specified flash rate for the 184/CJ184/CJ284 was 105 flashes per minute, same as the 176 Beacon Ray. The CJ speaker lights used a belt to drive the rotator assembly, placing a rubber grommet over the motor shaft will increase the flash rate of the CJ lights. The 184 uses a gear drive, no way to change the flash rate on the 184 beacon other than a fresh motor and clean and properly lubricated gears and rotating assembly."

James and others: I may have been mistaken about regular 184's coming from the factory at different rotation speeds. I know for sure though that I bought (4) CJ-184 or 284's from John Dorgan circa 1996 that were N.O.S. (still in their original boxes) surplus from the Phoenix FD and two turned at one speed and the other two were much slower.... noticeable different

I'm guessing if you reverse the leads on the motor you will reverse the rotation. it's a brush motor. I know the 17 of the 72 rotated counter clockwise ad the 14s rotated clockwise. the CJs were a belt drive so changing one pulley would make a lot of difference. but if you read the old federal adds they all state a permanent flash rate. with the 17-173-174 type they just kept adding bulbs to get the flash rate up. all it would take to slow one down is old grease in the shafts or worn out brushes in the motor.

I'm guessing if you reverse the leads on the motor you will reverse the rotation. it's a brush motor. I know the 17 of the 72 rotated counter clockwise ad the 14s rotated clockwise. the CJs were a belt drive so changing one pulley would make a lot of difference. but if you read the old federal adds they all state a permanent flash rate. with the 17-173-174 type they just kept adding bulbs to get the flash rate up. all it would take to slow one down is old grease in the shafts or worn out brushes in the motor.
The way the motor is attached to the plate it grounds with the light, so opposite rotation was special order. The beaconray motors run faster. Gene Smith substituted those in two of his 184's.

Back