In need of rear axle bearings and seals

Jim Staruk

Super Site Supporter
Super Site Supporter
Greetings,

I have to replace the rear axle bearings and seals on my 1972 Cadillac ambulance before I make to trip to Flint. As I understand, the regular Cadillac seal is # 9912 but the commercial seal is # 1496176 OR # 1394720. Can anyone help me? I've searched the internet and have found nothing!

Thank you

Jim

Bearings

This is the replacement for the oem bearing and seal. This might me available or cross chk to ?

Attachments

• DSC05092.jpg
    DSC05092.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 162
bearings and seals

I have been having really good luck with NAPA and O'Rielly's Auto Parts. My car is a 1961. If they look in the computer and don't find it insist they look in the books. That is where my parts have been found...in the book(s) under the counter.
You can also check with Old Car Bearing Company. They advertise in Hemmings Motor News. I found my rear seals and bearing for a 50s Buick here.
On Monday I will check with our local Bearings Inc Store. They do not specialize in car parts. They specialize in bearings and seals. Sometimes what they have just happens to interchange with car parts.
Will let you know what I find.
Mike

I talked to my local Napa

The # crosses to a Napa# RSN 1584 EV. It is on back order they would have to chk the warehouse Monday for availability chk with you local Napa and or a good bearing co.

This is the replacement for the oem bearing and seal. This might me available or cross chk to ?

Green Bearing was sold to Bearing Technologies, which dropped the manufacture of these bearings and no longer has any stock available.

My NOS parts source located one bearing for $230, plus shipping, but was unable to locate the seal. I am also working with another company that might be a good source for these bearings and seals at a much more reasonable price.

Check with USA Parts Supply, as they have offered these bearings in the past.

Rsn 1584 ev

The RSN 1584 EV fits the following International Truck Front Axles;

1968-75 All 1000, 1010, 1100, and 1100D series w/RA-53, 54, 83 & 84 axles
Set RSN-1584-EV doesnt say anything about a seal, maybe an IHC Truck Dealer could help more with both the bearing and the seal.

With as many coaches that seem to need the seal & bearing, I would think there should be something that will cross reference and work. Personally would be wary of anything imported replacement stock.

no luck

I had no luck at the local bearing company. The most they could tell me was that is an old bearing no longer stocked.
Mike

Bearings

The RSN 1584 EV fits the following International Truck Front Axles;

The green bearing # crosses to the Napa RSN 1584 EV. I have a set on order from my local NAPA. No one can give me definitive answer if the NAPA # IS A DIRECT CROSS FOR THE GREEN BEARING #. I will see when it comes in and I can compare it to the green bearing # I have. I have a feeling the RSN 1584 EV is a replacement for the stock tapered bearing and not the sealed bearing from Green Bearing. If it is a cross for the stock bearing great but you will still need the seal. The green bearing replacement takes the place of the stock bearing , race and seal.

Bearings

NOPE! I ordered two of these and just found out they are just the bearing and does not come with seals!
Yesterday 08:22 PM

The green bearing # crosses to the Napa RSN 1584 EV. I have a set on order from my local NAPA. No one can give me definitive answer if the NAPA # IS A DIRECT CROSS FOR THE GREEN BEARING #. I will see when it comes in and I can compare it to the green bearing # I have. I have a feeling the RSN 1584 EV is a replacement for the stock tapered bearing and not the sealed bearing from Green Bearing. If it is a cross for the stock bearing great but you will still need the seal. The green bearing replacement takes the place of the stock bearing , race and seal.

Looks like the answer to my question.

Finally fixed!

After more than a month of being on a wild goose chase, I finally found a rear bearing and seal (one piece unit) that perfectly fit my 1972 Cadillac commercial chassis. Not cheap, but my breaks are dry! Thanks Paul for all of your help with this.

Jim

Back