1942 Packard 4294 Henney Packard

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1942-Packard-4294-Henney-Packard-/181989733753?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

I like old Packards...is the lift/suspension and 4x4 original to the vehicle?

"Rare Arizona desert find * 1 of ? * Arizona titled 1942 Henney Packard 4x4 Ambulance. In need of a complete restoration, I have had the car for over a year and have determined that my shop is not the proper place for this project, it should belong to a military vehicle collector, Packard collector, or someone who is a combination of both. It is a rolling project, I had the wheels cleaned, coated, new flaps, tubes and useable tires so it is movable. I have obtained a Packard straight 8 engine and transmission, currently on a custom rolling stand, which is also included with the car, please assume both need to be gone through and inspected or rebuilt. Signed, notarized Arizona title, all of the Henney badging on the vehicle is present and intact. Everything is located at my shop in Buckeye, AZ 85326, delivery or assistance with transport may be available.

There are two ID tags located on the vehicle, a Henney Coach Works builders tag, and a Packard Body tag from which I have obtained the following information from research. My research documents will go to the new owner of the car.

- This is a Packard 8 of which Henney Coach Works produced 804 in 1942
- The body number is 13170, the range of body numbers in 1942 is 12900-13694 - so the body is the 270th of 804
- The model number on the Henney tag is 4294 which designates Packard 8 Ambulance
- The engine number on the Henney tag is E311184D - and E prefix (300,000 series) designates 1942
- The Packard serial number is A2278, (A2) prefix signifies commerical chassis, and 278 signifies 278 of 804
- The axles appear to be similar to those used in Marmon Herrington 4x4 conversions - I do not know where the 4x4 parts come into the history of this car
- From my research I learned that the top generals and dignitaries during the war (Eisenhower, Patton etc) often traveled in Henney Packard vehicles as they were the top of the line of staff vehicles during the war effort, and that some Henney Packards were used state side and abroad, during and after the war as Civil Defense Vehicles, and also at the VA.
- The original body color as found in the door jams is drab green, then it appears the vehicle was painted again in a light gray color.
- I have found evidence in the vehicle that it may have been a running driving vehicle as late as the early 1990s, but otherwise it appears it has been in its current condition since.
- Vehicle dimension are 20 feet long, 6.5 feet wide, and 7.5 feet tall - it is a big vehicle."

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 337
not being all that up on them them all I can say is it appears to me that some one has place the Packard body on a truck chassis. the chop off of the frame horns is my clue.

the military has all the 4x4 ambulances they would need and who would think a general want this rough a ride. my guess would be a project that stalled out about 40 years ago.

worth picking up for the body

I was on Active Duty in the Army up until 2012...I am retired now....I drove more than a few 4x4 ambulances...that said, I agree with Ed...not because I know about old Packards, but because the vehicle just doesn't look right...and Ed usually knows what he is talking about. I will leave it to the experts on this site to give their insight on this one...I do like it...I just do not think that the suspension works, aesthetically, with the body.

I just realized that this vehicle is listed under 2 different auctions, under 2 different item numbers on E-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1942-Henney...0f96cc0c:g:gM8AAOSwT~9WlVpw&item=172060232716

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Packard-429...5f6ef579:g:gM8AAOSwT~9WlVpw&item=181989733753

They were listed 8 min. apart...there are 2 different groups of bidders. I reported it to E-bay, but it is only a 50-50 chance that they will do anything about it....not sure if it is an honest mistake or if there is funny business going on.

"Rare desert find" eh? With the original running gear gone, they probably should have left it there. ;)

Henney Packard ambulances were used by the military before the war. But it looks like this one had Army deuce-and-a-half truck gear added to it as a custom job, but once again, the beer ran out and so did the motivation.

that was my first thought when I looked at them. old power wagon stuff. anyway you look at it way heaver then would be needed for the ambulance

Back