Pitman Arm

Hello fellow ambulance and hearse owners. The brakes suddenly stopped working in my 1966 Cadillac Miller[-Meteor 48” High top ambulance today…right before it was due to be in a parade. The good news is they did not fail in the parade. The bad news is the $1500 brake job I had done two years ago to be able to drive the car 1800 miles (to be in the 2007 PCS International meet hosed by Lou Farah’s Southern California PCS Chapter) is going to have be completely redone. The Master Cylinder seal failed, and the rear drums had axel grease in them, indicating the seal had broken there too. Plus the glue that kept one of the front brake shoes on the housing had apparently been super-heated, so that brake shoe was coming off. The brakes were never THAT great before, but they worked ok earlier today until I had to do a HARD “emergency” stop to avoid hitting a car that changed lanes without warning. The brake shop suspects that stop put the system under so much pressure, something blew.

Anyway, they found the new brake parts but say there are also some front end problems. I had the gear box worked on and an alignment done two years ago, but it has gotten more “loosey-goosey” steering-wise since then. They say they found a new gear box but also need a new (or good used or reconditioned) Pitman Arm.

Does anyone out there know when I can find one, and how much do they run? The brake shop seems to know what they are doing and will guarantee the work for 3 years parts and labor…so I am inclined to fix this. Who knows, maybe if I get this stuff fixed, maybe I’ll drive the car to Piqua for the M-M reunion this fall!

Art in Boise
pawzup@qwest.net
(208) 853-7756 (email me and I’ll call you back on my dime)

The pitman arm is unique to the vehicle, and as such, you will not find an aftermarket item. You will need to find the original part number, and then search for that part specifically. Occasionally, you will find that the part will be shared with other brands in the GM family of cars, as well as other years.
As far as the brake parts, I suggest that you send the wheel cylinders and master cylinder to Sierra Specialty Products for rebuilding. Do it once, and forget about it forever. If you decide not to go this route, then save all the old cylinders for the next time you are going to need them. I believe that your brake failure is more related to the vehicle sitting unused for long periods of time than anything else. If brake shoe lining came off the shoes, that indicates that something caused the failure of the original bonding of the material. I suggest that instead of using bonded shoes, that you insist that they install riveted shoes, like it came from the factory with. Also, instead of using regular brake fluid, you should use Silicone brake fluid.

heavy Iron. so how do you find a used gearbox with out a pitman arm. never seen them taken off in a yard. but knowing how you drive the car can't say it sits all that long. I would at least sent the master cylinder out the the shop in Oregon to get it rebuilt. if the people did not trade it out the last time that is.
I can't say if the sector is different in a CC then a standard caddy but 1-888-59caddy honest johns in tx is sub post to have some CC stuff he is parting out. if you can find out if it is a fleetwoood part then I can look for you the next time I go up to the big city. should be able to get one up there. but check again with the shop. what are they referring to as the pitman arm. I wondering if they mean the idler arm. pitman arm would be bolted to the gear box. vary unusual for them to have any damage to them. the idler arm is over on the frame and they wear out regularly. it is also possable the the CC front end parts are bigger on the shaft and they are trying to use a standerd joint. not trying to second guess the shop. any part can and will wear out. if it has egged out the hole in the pitman it would have been because the joint was lose. that would be the other shops go round.

Thanks! Good News - Arm no longer needed

Thanks for all the replies. I have had several emails and one phone call (Paul S,) offering to help locate the arm, and in fact one of my Boise State University students (an Airman who flies F-16s at Mountain Home AFB) found a good used one on eBay for me.

But when I stopped in at the Brake Shop today the technician (who had already been to rareparts.com and other sources) said they had some extra time at the shop on Saturday so they took the existing Pitman Arm off and cleaned and inspected it. It looked fine and had no cracks or unusual wear, but the washer that held it down was shot. When they replaced it with a new washer the arm tightened up just fine and the "play" in the steering was gone. So he thinks we won't need to replace the arm nor any of the parts and said the steering gear was fine. Oh and the even better news...no charge for the fix, since they were "learning" how to do it.

Now the brakes are another matter and will cost me plenty...but with a 3 year 25,000 mile guarantee parts and labor, I should be good for a while. Thanks for all your help. I will keep these numbers "on file" in case I or anyone else needs a Pitman Arm. They are rare it appears.

Back