Overflow Reservoir Question

Bill Marcy

PCS Member
I need a reservoir tank in the Pontiac, the old one has come apart. My traditional parts sources, have so far yielded nothing. Anybody have any ideas that might help me? Thanks in advance for anything you can share with me.

I have no pictures, as part of it is still in the car, but a big portion of it is gone. I can tell you that it is white, with black in the area where the hose goes in and it is taller, than it is wide. I know this description is not very helpful, but it is all I remember. Perhaps I can go take a picture of what is left, might that be helpful?

Bill; I just Googled 68 Catalina under hood image and nowhere do I see an overflow bottle. Now picking my brain I do not remember 68 Pontiacs having one. I think you may have an aftermarket add on. In that case I would remove chuck and forget about it.

Bill; I just Googled 68 Catalina under hood image and nowhere do I see an overflow bottle. Now picking my brain I do not remember 68 Pontiacs having one. I think you may have an aftermarket add on. In that case I would remove chuck and forget about it.

I didn't think 68s would have an overflow tank either, but the tank sure looks like it belongs there, at least in my opinion.

The only thing I see in the images on Google is the hose runnung from the radiator fill down the side of the radiator no tank. Several pictures are the same on different cars. Take a look Google 1968 Pontiac Catalina under hood image.

The 67 olds did not have one but my guess would be by 70 they were standard. It was a bit thing to add one but if you did not have the proper cap all they were was looks cool things. One way to til if it came out was the aline cap with stripe sticker easily lost. But if the radiator is marked with a full line it never had one. The purpose of the expansion tank was to allow you to fill the system to the vary top. Then when the flued warmed up it would expand lifting the presser cap and escaping to the overflow tank. Then when it cooled down a vacuum would be created drawing it back up into the raidator.

That advantage of the system was you could add coolent to to it with out taking off the cap. The other was you didn't have to pay attention to the nessary room for expansion when filling the system..

A Picture

Here is where it is supposed to be. I have googled 68 Bonneville engine compartment images and as a couple of you have already said, there is no overflow tank. But, this sure looks like it is a factory holding plate, doesn't it?

Attachments

• P1150837.jpg
    P1150837.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 210
  • P1150838.jpg
    P1150838.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 210
  • P1150839.jpg
    P1150839.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 206
Bill For my money bracket is homebrew very carefully made but the one corner both edges are formed up but there is a gap at the corner if GM original would be stamped. Also I think I see rivits on one side and on another two different size bolts so my opinion is homebrew. Tank was probably added after the rig was caught puking coolant out the overflow hose when idling. Either cause it was running hot or someone overfilled (to the top always a no no). Rescue Squads have a low panic level when it comes to ambulace fluids on the ground so they added a reserve tank.

Bill For my money bracket is homebrew very carefully made but the one corner both edges are formed up but there is a gap at the corner if GM original would be stamped. Also I think I see rivits on one side and on another two different size bolts so my opinion is homebrew. Tank was probably added after the rig was caught puking coolant out the overflow hose when idling. Either cause it was running hot or someone overfilled (to the top always a no no). Rescue Squads have a low panic level when it comes to ambulace fluids on the ground so they added a reserve tank.

For my money, I think Peter Grave is correct and he speaks from experience.

That plat is drilled and has the foot print of a federal 28 siren.
Untie the hose and it will drop between the frame and inner fender.

Sorry for the ;late response, just dug out my Pontiac parts catalog dated May 1, 1969.

Coolant recovery tanks are located in GM Group 1.240, radiator overflow components. The only listing in that group is overflow hoses. No tanks at least in the Pontiac lines for 1968 or 1969, just a hose to dump the coolant to the ground.

I don't have a later catalog, last printing of a GM paper catalog for the 1975 and earlier Pontiacs was May 1983 and since retired I have no access to that catalog now.

Sorry for the ;late response, just dug out my Pontiac parts catalog dated May 1, 1969.

Coolant recovery tanks are located in GM Group 1.240, radiator overflow components. The only listing in that group is overflow hoses. No tanks at least in the Pontiac lines for 1968 or 1969, just a hose to dump the coolant to the ground.

I don't have a later catalog, last printing of a GM paper catalog for the 1975 and earlier Pontiacs was May 1983 and since retired I have no access to that catalog now.

Thanks very much Joe, for the confirmation. BTW, better late than never.

You're welcome Bill.

Since I retired the end of June my access to the newer GM catalogs has ended. If I want to "pay the price" so to speak I could probably get access to them. Paying the price refers to from what I understand that my name has been tossed around regarding filling a vacancy that he is having no success in doing.

I said on my last day there that I never wanted to step foot into another car dealership. I figured forty seven years was enough............

I checked out a '68 Catalina in a salvage yard today that had a bleach bottle wired up in it for an overflow tank!

Back