Which parts do I buy?

I haven't had to replace any parts on my 1992 S&S Fleetwood FWD yet, but eventually I will have to of course. I work in auto parts, at one of the major national chains. When I look up brake parts, for instance, the computer asks me if the car is a limousine. Well, it isn't, but maybe it is. It is, for the parts store's intents and purposes, either a limo or not. Would my car, as a hearse, be considered a limo when it comes to getting parts, since a limo and a hearse would both typically be commercial chassis cars? I'd just love to make parts-buying easy, instead of having to disassemble the car and drive parts to the store to match them up every time.

Your '92 FWD S&S was not built on a Cadillac commercial chassis. The Cadillac commercial chassis was built through '94, but it was only on the RWD platform.

Parts

I be live yours should have a parts sticker like this some where on the body. It lists the parts on that particular chassis . Shop manual or a on line search for the code break downs will help identify parts even the tags are wrong sometimes
and the only way to identify it is to pull the part and match it up.

Attachments

• DSC03011.JPG
    DSC03011.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 360
since it is not a fleetwood 75 it is not a limo. you will find that the heavy duty parts would be the ones you need. I'm betting the limo one are heavy duty.

Not knowing which chain of parts stores you work for, you may have access to the "vintage parts" catalogs that many of the parts manufacturers still put out. If you enjoy going to flea markets and swap meets, watch for old 1990s parts catalogs. I have many of these. On occasion, some of these numbers have been superseded, but you may still be able to cross it to a good number. The best way to search is to just step away from that computer and get out the paper catalogs!

There should be a commercial chassis listing for your car, and that is what you use. Even though the traditional commercial chassis ended in 1984, from 1985-1993 the FWDs are the platform that had the coachbuilder body/package (not the RWDs). Superior/S&S were the only coachbuilders allowed to use that heavy duty FWD C.C.

Last edited:
So far Mr. Royark, EVERY parts website I've been to asks if the car is commercial chassis, so I'm inclined to think that there is truth in what you're saying. It's definitely confusing then almost everyone says that there is "no commerical chassis" after a certain year, but every parts house insists there is. I figured there had to be something we were missing! Thanks for the info!

Back