Overhead Switch Control Panel

Well as they say ..it looks spot on !!!:thumbsup:

I think you are creating a new market Darryl !!

Thank you for the time and money invested so far !

Jim

Ps: Why go hobby, when you can go professional? Lol :p.[/QUOTE]

true how true. nice when you have the equipment to do so. but for us country boys just come to town to show our car, we have to get inventive. so how much to reproduce them and what would be your turn around time? could you do black letters same as superior or the black on white stick on fall off ones that MM used? the key to restoring the car is to do it as close to original as one can get. reinventing the wheel is a lot ease then rebuilding a 50 year old one. but man a source for these kind of things that look original is a big boost to that end. so far I have not had this problem except the MM tabs that are lost. but looking at it a decal layer over this material would be so close to superiors printed stick on labels. you could not tell it had been reproduced. not to even mention the worn out labels on heater control knobs air condition controls and light switches threw out the car.

Finally

Ran across a sign man at the local cleaners and finally have the plastic "that 70's look" switch plate made and installed. Now it just makes me need the upholstery even more...next major project.

Attachments

• IMG_4049.jpg
    IMG_4049.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_4050.jpg
    IMG_4050.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_4061.jpg
    IMG_4061.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 193
Switch Plate

Terry,
The plate looks VERY period correct !! :thumbsup:
Great job......now have you considered marketing them ?? :rolleyes:

nice. a brass brush and a little rubbing compound will clean the switches up also. it just never ends does it. if you take the inside molding off the head liner is supposed to be stapled to the nail on there. if it hasn't shrunk up to much and there are not any rips or tears. pull the plastic pieces screwed threw it, tug it back and restaple it. then coat it with shoe polish. it will clean up the stains, brighten it up, soften the vinyl and you may find living with it is good. clean it first with the scrubbing bubbles.

nice. a brass brush and a little rubbing compound will clean the switches up also. it just never ends does it. if you take the inside molding off the head liner is supposed to be stapled to the nail on there. if it hasn't shrunk up to much and there are not any rips or tears. pull the plastic pieces screwed threw it, tug it back and restaple it. then coat it with shoe polish. it will clean up the stains, brighten it up, soften the vinyl and you may find living with it is good. clean it first with the scrubbing bubbles.

I am getting quotes soon as the entire upholstery needs doing...
You are seeing just one piece. The rest is a mess as well.

Looks great Terry! I noticed you have a master switch, and I always wondered if these professional car ambulances could be ordered with one as an option. When on, does it idle high to run all the lights and electrical equipment? I remember reading how many units with "too many lights" would cause the lights to dim, or even rotate slow especially when winding up the q...and I'm wondering if a unit equipped with a master switch gets around that problem?

Abe

Looks great Terry! I noticed you have a master switch, and I always wondered if these professional car ambulances could be ordered with one as an option. When on, does it idle high to run all the lights and electrical equipment? I remember reading how many units with "too many lights" would cause the lights to dim, or even rotate slow especially when winding up the q...and I'm wondering if a unit equipped with a master switch gets around that problem?

Abe

Abe

Not connected to an engine idle. Might have a good idea, considering the load. Judging by the hole under the dashboard with the corresponding mount, there was a cable idle adjuster. I have not replaced that.

All of the switches are original, but I did re-arrange them a bit more logically in my mind: power, lights, sign, siren...showtime!

Terry

Contact Info:

I talked with Brook at NamesPlate LA. (That LA is for Louisiana!) Price is about $40. Said since he has the CAD, he could make more so just let him know. Great guy.

Brook Lyons
Nameplates, Inc.
8088 Pipes Lane
Ethel, LA 70730
225-683-5500
nameplates@nameplatesLA.com

I'm about to order a new switch control panel for my '75XL but I'm stuck on the exact wordage I want to use to describe the three sets of lights on my car. In one (or two) short words, how would you name these lights below their corresponding switch? Thanks

Attachments

• 3 lights.jpg
    3 lights.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 152
or you could call them corner lights . but mostly I have seen them referred to as roof lights. beacon is always labeled separate as are the scene or work lights. the load light is sometimes on a switch but mostly on and off with the rear door. all though superiors liked to wire them so they only came on if the taillights were on.

They both look good. All my Superior ambulances have the silver foil look, did they also offer the black version that Terry has?

Back