Overhead Switch Control Panel

Has anyone pulled this and made a new engraved plate at a trophy shop or someplace? Mine is shot and I am going to do that was well fairly quick so I can quit getting my fingers stuck in the empty switch holes.

I have someone who did mine. Came out perfect. Beautiful lettering. I'll upload a photo tomorrow. He will need the original to reproduce. Jim

It might be easier to put some switches into the blank holes if that is the only problem. I have a few generic switches that will fit in the holes if you want them..

I believe I will have to have a reproduction made since some of the thin middle switch dividers are broken, which makes the switch loose in the socket. I have some spare switches from my other Superior that are similar and may end up in the panel.

Right now it sits in the garage since it has been a bit cold for this Southerner to even begin the engine compartment clean up for the rebuilt 455 that should be here in two weeks...

Switch plate

Terry, if it helps I added an additional switch to my panel for the bullett lights I added. The switch I used was made by McGill and it matched the original Superior white rockers exactly. I also might have an extra blank cover if you want it.

Moving along

One thing led to another and I ended up removing the switch panel for repair. A little backyard sandblasting, and it is looking pretty good. It is now at my brothers so he can CAD the name plate for me at the shop.

Attachments

• IMG_3556.jpg
    IMG_3556.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_3570.jpg
    IMG_3570.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 448
Sandblasted and primed...out to have the cover name plate made.

Attachments

• IMG_3571 - Version 2.jpg
    IMG_3571 - Version 2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_3574.jpg
    IMG_3574.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_3575.jpg
    IMG_3575.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 361
PS...

I learned a long time ago that a little GoJo hand cleaner in a rag or on a toothbrush applied to radios does great to clean up old grease. Honestly, it will make old wire look new.

Vendor

My brother designed a CAD file for my overhead plate. Still looking for a source that will take my file (dxf or dwg) and make one.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• Plan C Draft.jpg
    Plan C Draft.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 467
I will order some brushed aluminum vinyl this week and see if my machines will cut the letters out that small. I have a couple switch plates that need to be updated / re-done. If it works, we all will have a source. :)

they were just printed on the foil on the original. most likely with a type set machine. as each car would be different. one could almost roll the material into a type writer (remember those) and type on the vinyl. then a shot of clear coat would keep it. a stop down to the hobby shop might reveal a source for a decal also. I do know they will make them up on a computer and printer now.

they were just printed on the foil on the original. most likely with a type set machine. as each car would be different. one could almost roll the material into a type writer (remember those) and type on the vinyl. then a shot of clear coat would keep it. a stop down to the hobby shop might reveal a source for a decal also. I do know they will make them up on a computer and printer now.

If only if it was as simple as using that typewriter. :rolleyes: The originals were cut on a Gerber plotter through many years. All of them were then >Laminated< then applied to the acrylic color of choice for illumination.

I have several switch panels here and yes that bug got up my rear to see if it could be done on the modern cutting equipment. IT WORKS! However (ie: spend some moola), I now have a better reason to order the thicker "brushed" metal film now.

Looks like I will go ahead and use my template to have some red and white acrylic laser cut for new switch panels for my rigs. With the brushed metal vinyl, Viola! New Switch Panels!! :D

Heres the sample cut on just some simple cheap thin thin vinyl. Letter quality at this size gets better with thicker films.

Ps: Why go hobby, when you can go professional? Lol :p

Plastic?

It was made of plastic on my first '75 Cadillac. Black top, with white under layer much like simple nametags. When engraved, it produced white lettering that permitted backlighting.

I have a dxf or dwg file if you'd like to try one....

Back