Rescue 8 episode - '58 M-M ambulance

Showing my age

When ever someone discusses "Emergency" I ask them if they remember the B&W show Rescue 8? Nope. Same time frame as Sky King, Highway Patrol, and Whirlybirds. No one remembers Whirlybirds either. I think that was based on CHP. I would swap every thing I own for one of those trucks.
Geeesh. Well it was great to see the clip!
Thanks!

When ever someone discusses "Emergency" I ask them if they remember the B&W show Rescue 8? Nope. Same time frame as Sky King, Highway Patrol, and Whirlybirds. No one remembers Whirlybirds either.
Thanks!

must be a age thing as I remember everyone of those shows. I always marveled at the fact that no matter what they called for or who they sent to get it the vary piece of equptment they needed was laying at the back of the truck.

I sure would like to obtain a dvd with these old Rescue 8 shows. This show was an early influence in pointing me toward my EMS and fire service career. I was already heading down this path when Emergency hit the air waves when I was in high school.

In the '59-'60 time frame I have a vague recollection of a black and white documentry about FDNY Rescue 1. May have been CBS. I've been looking for a copy of this without sucess.

I also watched Highway Patrol, Whirlybirds, Sky King, and Car 54 Where Are You. And of course Leave it to Beaver.

remembering

I remember all those shows. I also remember that 58 Chevy Impala convertible. My first convertible when I was only 17 years old. Yes, that is one I wish I still had.
Mike

I have them!

RESCUE 8 and HIGHWAY PATROL are available again........quality on Rescue 8 is not as good as Highway Patrol, but they are viewable. If anyone wants the source, they can email me............PS the senior fireman on Rescue 8 went on to be Mr. Ewing Sr. on "Dallas" several years later..........

I barely knew Emergency the first time around, but not old enough to understand it, i was born in 74, and do not know the others at all.

When ever someone discusses "Emergency" I ask them if they remember the B&W show Rescue 8? Nope. Same time frame as Sky King, Highway Patrol, and Whirlybirds. No one remembers Whirlybirds either. I think that was based on CHP. I would swap every thing I own for one of those trucks.
Geeesh. Well it was great to see the clip!
Thanks!

Rescue 8, Sky King, Highway Patrol and of course Whirlybirds, all a special treat when you were allowed to "stay up late". A Canadian addition was "Cannonball".

Back then in Canada you had one station on TV. In retrospect more entertaining than the present 400+ channel universe (boy I sound old, sorry).

I barely knew Emergency the first time around, but not old enough to understand it, i was born in 74, and do not know the others at all.

John, I was born in 75. During the late 70s and early 80s I spent my days at my grandparents plopped in front of TV38 out of Boston showing recent reruns of Emergency! Couple this with being a block away from a city hospital and firehouse, and you can see the recipe for disaster. My mother would pick me up at 5 and all I would talk about was ambulances and fire trucks.

I remember "Rescue 8" from TVLand reruns. When TVLand was new and nobody watched it, that was one of the shows they showed. Now, I call it "RaymondLand", all "Raymond", all the time.

Of course, I'm old enough to remember the anxiously anticipated Saturday night, 8:00pm, in December of 1971......."NBC World Premiere: Emergency!". Of course, I had to watch it on the black-and-white upstairs TV, because mom wanted to watch "All in the Family" on the downstairs TV, but that was good enough. In fact, I always watched it in black-and-white - when we went on vacation once and I watched it on a color TV in a hotel, I was surprised their uniforms were blue!

RESCUE 8 and HIGHWAY PATROL are available again........quality on Rescue 8 is not as good as Highway Patrol, but they are viewable. If anyone wants the source, they can email me............PS the senior fireman on Rescue 8 went on to be Mr. Ewing Sr. on "Dallas" several years later..........

Sheriff Roscoe P. Coletrain from Dukes of Hazzard was in one of the episodes of RESCUE 8 that I just watched on youtube.

On highway patrol it amazed me how Broderick Crawford could get clear across the state so fast,and every time he picked up the mike he never had to wait for a clear channel.Classics,all of them and now we in the field can sit back and say,people actually bought this stuff.:badbad:

Note that none of the front warning lights are "steady burn."

Steve: I noticed that too. Although I don't have the official (mandatory) change over date, CDF Apparatus in CA went to steady reds in 1958. Our Restored 1949 REO Speedwagon X-CDF Fire Engine had a Single (FLASHING) center roof (between the windshield sections) mounted 6-Volt S-M Oval from new prior to 1958. LA County may have changed over later, or the Rescue-8 Show Unit wasn't accurate?

a time before

In a time before continuity directors you can see some nice glitches in some old shows. A friend recently sent a link to an episode of Highway Patrol. Crawford leaves the office in a black and white 55 Buick. When he arrived at the call scene he is in a 55 Mercury. Yes, you can see it coming. He leaves the scene in the Merc only to arrive back at headquarters in the Buick. No indication of why the switch in cars. Just that someone did't think anyone was really watching the details I guess.
Mike

that was the most fun about the shows. you had already bought the bit or you would not watch them. but to get to see those mistakes only made you watch them closer. I mean how many ways can you catch the bad guy. but to see the man run to the truck to get something out of the back and it's empty when he gets it only to run for one more thing having it appear were the other was that's priceless. I got new for you guys I still have a black and white TV

Back