Superior or C/B ????

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
Three pictures, three cars, which were made by whom?

Attachments

• 1962 oldsmobile ambulance 2a.jpg
    1962 oldsmobile ambulance 2a.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 342
  • 1962 Pontiac Consort.jpg
    1962 Pontiac Consort.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 343
  • 1962 Pontiac CB ambulance in service 2.jpg
    1962 Pontiac CB ambulance in service 2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 345
Glad that everyone agreed with my thoughts. What threw me, was that the top two have identical quarter glass decals. How can this be explained? The bottom one is what I would call the "typical" C/B decal.

So the key on the center one would be the roof lights. As i remember cb small torpedo light lens is flat Superiors was a smaller bullet and the mount is different. But not enough experience with them to pick it out of a small picture. But if you look you can see the top insert doesn't quite fit the glass. It is possible that they keep the inset out of the old car and used it in there replacement rig

Glad that everyone agreed with my thoughts. What threw me, was that the top two have identical quarter glass decals. How can this be explained? The bottom one is what I would call the "typical" C/B decal.

The Olds in the first photo appears to be a combination that was being used as an ambulance, with lollipops added. The decals--which weren't installed straight--could have been purchased from a coach dealer when the conversion to straight ambulance use was done.

Best that I can do... Camera is out of film, and the battery is dead for the flash. You will have to wait for spring, when there is natural daylight.

Roof is painted, new headliner installed, rear door has been reupholstered, and it is slowly coming together. Still have to install the siren, and the Federal Model 17 on the top side. On the bottom side, I need to get a few minor suspension parts replacement, and then get it aligned. Under the hood, I still need to install new heater hoses, and finish the installation of the air conditioning components and charge. I am hoping to have everything done by the 4th of July.

Attachments

• MVC-002L.JPG
    MVC-002L.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 128
  • MVC-003L.JPG
    MVC-003L.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 129
  • MVC-004L.JPG
    MVC-004L.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 123
  • MVC-005L.JPG
    MVC-005L.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 125
After months of exhaustive research, the Moroney Sticker comes into view.

Attachments

• 1962 Chevrolet Ambulance window Moroney sticker.pdf
    802.9 KB · Views: 151
So...... that would have been wholesale price on the station wagon as delivered to Cotner Bevington, correct?

No thats a copy of the retail window sticker. You are not used to what cars cost then. My new airconditioned 63 Cadillac convertible cost me with discount $5200.00 in 63. My 64 Vette was $3800.00 new 4sp 340 hp. window sticker if memory serves me was around $4500.00. Not like today when my friends new Escalade Was $96300.00. When I worked at the Studebaker dealer in 1958 a NEW Stude pickup Was $1299.00. However I made $140.00 a week. Times change.

So...... that would have been wholesale price on the station wagon as delivered to Cotner Bevington, correct?

The "Moroney" sticker is the Manufacturers suggested retail price that the dealer sell the car for. The price that C/B paid, was less than the Moroney sticker, but more than what the selling dealer would have paid. Back then, it was common for the selling dealers to work on a $50 - $100 mark up on a car, when it was going to someone other than the casual buyer that walked into the showroom. Back then, the automobile manufactures by contract with their dealerships, couldn't sell directly to the public. Even the larger rental companies had their cars delivered through a dealership, and the dealership got a token amount for what they called a "courtesy" delivery. GM handled the paperwork, and finance, but "technically" it was sold through a GM dealership. I am not certain how an incomplete vehicle such as a Cadillac Commercial Chassis was handled. Cadillac was technically the only division that manufactured a commercial chassis. Other divisions sold completed cars, with major components deleted, such as the station wagon tailgate on my car.
Starting with the 1967 model year cars, with the new Federal safety mandates, if a car was modified by someone after it left the original manufacturing facility (GM/Ford/Chrysler), that entity (C/B, Miller Meteor, Superior, etc.) they were considered the final manufacturer, and were legally responsible for affixing the Moroney sticker to the car.
From Wikipedia
The window sticker was named after Almer Stillwell "Mike" Monroney, United States Senator from Oklahoma. Monroney sponsored the Automobile Information Disclosure Act of 1958, which mandated the disclosure of equipment and pricing information on new automobiles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monroney_sticker

Back