1957 volkswagen bus van Ambulance - (newhall)

Something a bit different (& Expensive - for my wallet anyway)

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/5083877316.html

1957 volkswagen bus van Ambulance - $125000 (newhall)
original Ambulance built for USA destination. 1957 VW bus van. split window. Birth certificate.
rebuilt 1600 dual port engine, freeway flyer transmission, narrowed front beam on air ride. Original sigla front pop out windows. early pressed bumpers. ambulance glass divider, side pop out windows, ambulance step. Hella spot light, bosch emergency flasher. daily driver 70mph. $125,000
reliable rusty patina van. 661-857-1518

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 138
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 144
It is stated in the title and in the text so I don't think the "," is in the wrong place. All I could think when I saw it was :4_11_9: & :confused2:

Vw

am I missing something or is this a huge put-on? $125,000 ?

Patina= To me this means rusty piece of s*&t that I can not afford to fix or paint correctly. But this is big with the VW crowd patina , hood ride barn find etc etc. Whatever they get for it is way beyond what I would pay, but a lot of these old buses have sold for way beyond what I think they are worth. But that is my :my2cents:

VW Ambulance

A bit better example of an ambulance:

DSC02527_zpsc8698b3d.jpg

Actually this bus is not to far off the price that is being realized,I know it is hard to believe.
As being a member of the VW community for over 30 years it is REALLY hard for me to believe also.

Much of the rise in value started in 2011 when Hemmings stated that one of the top 10 investments for the next 5 years would be the 21 Window and 23 Window deluxe VW buses.And that was pretty much the start of it all.

In October of 2014 I sold a 1966 VE Westfalia Camper bus for 82K ,then in March of 2015 I sold a 1960 21 window Deluxe bus for a 127K......these were NOT museum quality buses by any means,they were in decent shape,good metal and a very low production run......the first was sold to private seller and the 21 went to auction and was sold to invetment group in England.

A 1955 Deluxe bus just sold for a whopping 225K,and the market continues to climb on ALL models ..from the 70's to the 90's.....

Early air cooled Porsches are doing the same thing......

People just figured out that there were not really of these vehicles made and that they bring out a lot of feelings from their "younger" days and so now those same people are able to purchase them back......

VW was making VW buses until 2007 in South America,but have since ceased production....another reason for the rise in value......
With that factory closing ...parts have dried up and are super expensive on the secondary market.... a middle seat for a bus will run you 4-7K !!!

In all reality...there is not much to these buses (or bugs),but there is a DEMAND for them.... for use in advertising or promo use,,,just like classic american cars.
Seems like overnight a whole industry has sprung up to satisfy wants and needs for parts from windshields to trannies......as new generations discover VW's and the older generations want them back.

I am hoping that the same happens to PROCars in the future......they can only go up.....:)

Last edited:
A bit better example of an ambulance:

DSC02527_zpsc8698b3d.jpg

Actually this bus is not to far off the price that is being realized,I know it is hard to believe.
As being a member of the VW community for over 30 years it is REALLY hard for me to believe also.

Much of the rise in value started in 2011 when Hemmings stated that one of the top 10 investments for the next 5 years would be the 21 Window and 23 Window deluxe VW buses.And that was pretty much the start of it all.

In October of 2014 I sold a 1966 VE Westfalia Camper bus for 82K ,then in March of 2015 I sold a 1960 21 window Deluxe bus for a 127K......these were NOT museum quality buses by any means,they were in decent shape,good metal and a very low production run......the first was sold to private seller and the 21 went to auction and was sold to invetment group in England.

A 1955 Deluxe bus just sold for a whopping 225K,and the market continues to climb on ALL models ..from the 70's to the 90's.....

Early air cooled Porsches are doing the same thing......

People just figured out that there were not really of these vehicles made and that they bring out a lot of feelings from their "younger" days and so now those same people are able to purchase them back......

VW was making VW buses until 2007 in South America,but have since ceased production....another reason for the rise in value......
With that factory closing ...parts have dried up and are super expensive on the secondary market.... a middle seat for a bus will run you 4-7K !!!

In all reality...there is not much to these buses (or bugs),but there is a DEMAND for them.... for use in advertising or promo use,,,just like classic american cars.
Seems like overnight a whole industry has sprung up to satisfy wants and needs for parts from windshields to trannies......as new generations discover VW's and the older generations want them back.

I am hoping that the same happens to PROCars in the future......they can only go up.....:)

Thanks James! Those are some amazing numbers, even for you. But, I see certain vehicles that are on the rise and the buses are in the lead. You know what they say, "When you're hot, you're hot!"

The same thing is happening to some of the Corvair models. Yesterdays junk is tomorrows treasurers.

mean time most of us trade or swap limited run cars for around 5000. man I hap pro cars don't get hot. the majority of us will drift away from the hoppy as we get dollared out. know knocking it just don't want to see it happen. sorry now that I sold my VW camper to my brother in law. that would have been a better investment then the stock market

mean time most of us trade or swap limited run cars for around 5000. man I hap pro cars don't get hot. the majority of us will drift away from the hoppy as we get dollared out. know knocking it just don't want to see it happen. sorry now that I sold my VW camper to my brother in law. that would have been a better investment then the stock market

Your EXACTLY right Ed !!!
A LOT of the money that is being realized is from investors or in my case investment groups.
I know the 2 I have sold certainly out-performed ANY stock or dividend that I could get,and in much shorter time.....
There is still some room in the "bay window" buses (post 67 vs the split window pre 67) currently in the 15-60k range.....but going up slow and steady as investors and collectors jump to the next lower price.....thus ALL models are going up....

Back